Alfie

"Open the next one," I said handing Zoe a thin box that was wrapped in brown paper with a blue ribbon tied around it in a bow. Every single year I had gotten Zoe a Christmas present and kept them with me in case we would ever talk again, then I would be able to give them all to her, and here she was now, and it was Christmas, so what better time than now? 

She was crying again, but she took the thin box and ripped off the paper. When she saw what was inside she laughed a little. "I always wanted one of these, but my parents never bought me one." She pulled out the pen that was inside that had an alien face on the end of it. They were all the trend three years ago. 

"Here," I said handing her her third gift from two years ago. 

"I feel so bad, I don't have anything for you!" she said again, but she took the present anyone and opened it after a little bit of my persuasion. "Alfie," she said with a giggle taking out the CD that had been wrapped up. It was 'N Sync, Zoe's favourite in high school, they were her guilty pleasure. 

"Do you like it?" I asked her as she flipped the CD over and read the back laughing as she did so.

"I love it!" she said setting it down and preparing for her last two presents. I couldn't wait until she got to the last present, that one was the best.

She ripped the paper off the and smiled widely when she say what was inside. She pulled out the framed picture of me and her from when we were little. The same one that i had on my mantle. "Thank you," was all she said for that one, but I knew she was really thankful.

I handed her the last one and started to get a little nervous as she undid the wrapping. This was the one I had bought her this year, and even though it had become a tradition to buy Zoe presents every year, this one was special, different.

When she took the lid off the box she gasped. Inside was a diamond necklace I had just picked out last week. It had a delicate silver chain and dropped down into a V in the middle and it was covered in diamonds and crystals.

"Alfie, this is too much," she said handing me the box, but I just put it on her and gave her another gift that was the best one she ever got, even though I didn't know it at  the time.

"I love you," I whispered in her ear as I clasped the necklace around her neck.

xxx