Part 48

Klaus arrived at the airport just minutes before the departure of Elena's plane. He compelled a couple of people to find out which plane Elena was to board. He ran to the runway, wildly pushing aside everyone standing in his way. He had to hurry up.
He spotted the plane only a few seconds before it was Elena's turn to climb up the little stairs. He couldn't let her fly away, he just couldn't. He fought his way through the crowds of waiting passengers, he knocked down a pretty young flight attendant and with his both hands he tightly grabbed confused Elena and carried her away. Only when they were far enough from all people did he put her down on the ground, but he kept his hands on her in case she wanted to escape.
'What are you doing here?' she yelled at him, her face deformed with rage.
'I had to stop you. You mustn't leave. It would destroy you.'
'What are you talking about?' Elena didn't understand it and she was trying to free herself from his grip, but she wasn't strong enough.
'You love Mystic Falls. You love this town and the people that live in it. Your family, friends...'
'And you, right?' she spat angrily.
'Well...' Klaus took a breath.
'You're not stopping me because of me but because of you! Oh my god, you're so selfish!' she shook her head in disgust. 'You care about me so much that you actually don't give a damn about me.'
'How can you say that?'
'How?' shouted Elena. 'I mean, look at yourself. You don't respect my wishes, my choices... You claim that I must stay here because of my friends, but you HATE my friends. There's nothing you'd love to do more than to kill them off so that you wouldn't have to share me with them!'
'Elena...'
'Noooo!' she jumped in. 'I won't let you make me doubt my decision. I want to leave. I want to go far away. Originally, I was planning to come back but now...' She was so furious that tears started coming out of her eyes, which automatically stimulated Klaus' tear ducts to imitate Elena's.
'Please,' he breathed out.
'Klaus, I'm begging you. My plane is departing any second. I must get on it. I WANT to get on it. I need space and time to clear up a few important things - including the two of us! If you don't let me go now, there will be nothing to make decisions about - because I'll hate you for the rest of eternity.'
Klaus sighed. He gazed at Elena's beautiful face full of anger and pain and he knew that if he didn't let her go, she would despise him forever. And that was the last thing he was aiming to achieve by all this. But as long as he was holding her in his hands, he at least had a feeling that she belonged to him. He was afraid to let her go because it could mean that he would lose her forever.
He could choose between two types of loss. He didn't like either of them; he was used to getting everything he wanted. But it was different this time. He had to play according to Elena's rules.
'OK,' he uttered and he let her hands slip out of his. 'I'll be expecting you to come back.'
Elena looked a little surprised, yet grateful. 'Thank you,' she whispered. 'I'll come back,' she promised and ran to the plane.
So she caught it after all.