Chapter 17: More Than This

Knocking on Niall's door takes absolutely no courage at all. You're completely calm, especially after that conversation you had with Zayn. You know exactly what you're going to say and it's best if you shove all awkwardness aside. He opens his door, shocked to see you standing there.

"Niall." You say with a cheerful voice. You put a bright smile on.

"Um," He looks confused.

"Hi," He says, erasing the confusion across his face, and replacing it with a smile.

"You uhh wanna come in?" He says moving his body out of the way.

"I can't," you say.

NIALL'S POV

"I'm going to see Harry in a bit. I just wanted to stop by and talk to you for a second." (Y/N) says cheerfully. How can she be so happy to see me? Especially after telling her I was in love with her?

"Oh... Then what's up?" I say leaning against the door frame.

"Well, I wanted to talk about... You know... What you said... Look, I'm realllyyy sorry for running out like that. I know it probably seemed as though I was absolutely disgusted, but I wasn't." She runs her fingers through her bangs, pushing them behind her ear.

"It was just that... Well you're my best friend, and when you said that... Well it was a lot to handle, and I guess I sort of freaked out a bit. I mean, you're my best friend, man!" She laughs a little and smacks my arm. I try not to look awkward, but I guess my stiffness gave that away. I chuckle a little and rub my arm. Her face changes. She's well aware how uncomfortable this is making me feel. She clears her throat.

"Anyway, I just wanted to apologize for making it seem as though I was appalled. I love you Niall, I really do, but I have a boyfriend. And you're my best friend." She's really stressing the whole 'Best friend' thing, considering this is the third time she's mentioned it.

"So... Friends?" She smiles, and a little dimple appears on her upper left cheek. I love that dimple. She blinks, and those crazy long eyelashes move with her lids. I love those eyelashes. Not only does she smile with her lips, but she smiles with her eyes. They are full of expression and exceptionally bright. I love those eyes. She licks her lips a bit and changes from her teeth-showing smile, to a soft smile, her lips touching. I love those lips. I just love her...

"Friends." I lie and throw her a bright smile and give her a hug.

"I don't know what I was thinking! sorry about that, best friend." I lie, once again, laughing as she wraps her arms around me. She smells sweet and I try to take in the warmth of her embrace. It feels right to have my arms around her her. She laughs with me and her laugh rings in my ears. I've never heard anything sweeter.

"It's all good, I'm just glad we can forget about that and go back to how things were." She says pulling away.

"Hey, how 'bout we go out tomorrow night, just you, me and Liam?" I ask.

"I'd love to, but I think Harry and I may have something planned... Maybe the next night?" She smiles. I agree and let her go. It's the hardest thing to do. It's so hard not to win someone you love.

I return to the edge of my bed and begin to think. Should I try to fight for her and make her mine? Should I do everything it takes to get her to open her eyes and realize I'm the right one? Or should I let her be happy with someone else? Should I let someone who can't possibly love her more than I do, hold her, love her, kiss her, and have her? My mind is flooding. I want to make her mine. I can't stand the idea of someone else loving her... I... I can love her more than this...