chapter eight.

IT'S NOT CHEATING, IT'S STRATEGY
( KEEPERS OF THE STONES )
viii. a bond stronger than steel
chapter eight

 a bond stronger than steelchapter eight

◌ ◌ ◌

KAMAR-TAJ, TWO YEARS AGO

Doctor Stephen Strange had only been at Kamar-Taj for a little while, but he was learning quickly. The Ancient One had great faith in his potential, even if he didn't see it himself. Another person that saw it was Lucina Romero, a woman that had also only been at the Sanctum for a short amount of time, but had already become a very essential piece to the puzzle.

Said woman sat across the training field, eyes closed and legs crossed underneath her, hands relaxing on her knees. The dark haired woman focused on her breathing, gently inhaling and exhaling as she tried to keep control of her newly-tamed power.

Down on the other end, near the stairs leading up into the Sanctum, was the Ancient One, eyes darting between two fighters dueling in front of her. She seemed so focused on them that she didn't pay a lick of attention to Stephen Strange and Mordo as they fought, having been the former's first fight in Kamar-Taj.

" Enough questions. " Mordo has persisted after answering many of the former doctor's inquiries about the place, the Ancient One, and the history of the magic that flowed through their very beings; he turned around to the weapons rack and picked up a wooden staff, to which Stephen raised an eyebrow.

" What's that? " He asked, and Mordo grinned before replying, " That's a question. "

The two continued to duel, Stephen at a clear disadvantage against the well-trained Mordo. The dark skinned man continued to yell at him, attempting to encourage him, provoking him to fight back, to fight with more urgency. However, as soon as he was able to deflect one of Mordo's strikes and hit him back, he became distracted.

Mordo seemed to not notice the newbie's eyes drift across the floor, finally spotting the woman meditating in the middle of a battlefield. His curiosity quickly overtook him, allowing Mordo to catch him off guard when he slammed the staff right into his stomach, throwing the doctor off his feet. Stephen glared up at Mordo with an expression that read "seriously?" but the latter only spared a glance towards Lucina, then back at him.

" You should not get so easily distracted. " He told him, holding out his hand, which Stephen gladly took, pulling himself to his feet.