Chapter Eleven: The Council

©Ani_Mang
[All rights reserved]
2018

______________________

Stein's POV:

"Sir, I left your clothes for the meeting on your bed." My butler, Joshua announced.

I finished the remaining paper work on my desk before heading upstairs to change. Jeremiah was holding a council meeting tonight and I had to be in attendance.

It would be a perfect opportunity to see where Jeremiah's motives lie.

I walked up the stairs towards my room, but decided to check on Alex first. He was laying still on his bed asleep. It was an unusual sight, considering that it was three in the afternoon, but Alex had been through a lot and needed the rest.

I left him alone and made my way down the hall to my room. I saw a black and white business suit laying across my black and red sheets.

I held up the suit by the hanger and hung it up in my bathroom. I took a quick shower, changed and started to pack the things I needed for the meeting, including a small pack of blood tablets. Human and animal blood was forbidden at council meetings.

God knows how long this meeting will be, especially with Jeremiah running it.

I grabbed my materials and headed downstairs to wait for Thomas.

"Sir," he spoke "would you like a ride to the meeting?"

"No, I'm okay. I need you to protect the manor. You know what to do in an emergency, and I trust you with my students."

I began to walk down my long driveway to my car when Thomas stopped me.

"Ezra," he never called me by my first name unless he was serious or concerned about something. "Please be careful."

I nodded. "I'll be back as soon as the meeting's over."

Thomas was like a father to me. I felt like I could tell him anything and he was always there to listen.

I hopped into my car and began my hour long drive. The air was cold and bitter. It felt more like mid-winter than mid-fall.

About halfway through my drive, it started to rain. Hard.

I continued to drive hoping the rain would settle, but it never stopped. The rain continued to pour even as I exited my car to enter the grand building that the meeting was being held in. I opened the wide doors of the council building and was met with a host of news reporters and angry civilians.

This wasn't uncommon. Human media stations always wanted a peak at inhuman politics, even if it killed them.

"Ezra, how do you feel about your brother maintaining his role as head councilman?" One reporter said holding a microphone to my face.

I politely pushed it away. "No comment."

"Where do see the future of our two kinds going, Mr, Stein?" Another asked.

I ignored him and the other host of reporters and walked safety inside the conference room where my brother was sitting at the head of the table.

"Ezra," he said with a fake surprise. "I wasn't expecting you to be here."

"Well I am." I responded as professionally as possible.

To my left, Xavier Lykos, the werewolf representative sat with authority and a look of disapproval. He never looked happy and was a very serious man. He only cared for his closest friends and the safety of his kind and pack. He was only a couple of years older than me, and looked as if he was in his early forties. Despite his tough nature, he was one of my best friends.