Chapter four: Out

©Ani_Mang
[All rights reserved]
2018

___________________
I woke up to the sound of a metal door being opened. I had barely rested, given the fact that we were thrown into confinement.

"Good morning," Director Renold's voice boomed. "We would like to begin running tests today, so please cooperate if you want this to go by quickly and painlessly."

Another strong built man entered the room and took Violet. She gave us all a look of pure fear before being forcefully dragged away. Another took Lee, followed by Kat, and Max. The last man took Alex, leaving me alone in the room with Director Renolds.

As he approached me, I instinctively moved back, trying to put as much distance between us as possible.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I couldn't bring myself to believe a single word he was saying. "I just have a few questions for you. Come with me."

Director Renolds extended his hand out to me. I grabbed it, and he gently pulled me up to my feet. He took me down the building's long narrow hallways and into a conference room with a large meeting table, but only two chairs.

He motioned for me to have a seat.

"Remind me of your name please." He asked preparing to write something down.

I didn't answer.

"Look," he began. "I have a meal waiting for you. You can have it as soon as we finish this little interview, so you better start talking if you want food."

Renolds' voice was still gentle when he talked, making me shudder. "I need your name."

"Lucy."

"Age?"

"Sixteen."

He stopped to write. "Species?"

"Vampire."

Director Renolds looked up from his notepad as if he was interested. "How long have you been a vampire?"

I took a few seconds to answer, not knowing if I wanted to give him this information. "Three months."

He wrote that down. "Have you consumed any blood within those three months?"

"No."

"No?"

"Why are you so surprised?" I snapped.

Renolds leaned forward in his chair, resting his elbows on the table and folded his hands together. "Well, according to past research, turned vampires don't usually last their first week without an urge for blood. I'm surprised you've lasted this long."

"I guess I have enough self-control."

"It's not about self control, Lucy. It's about instinct. Because you're inhuman now, your instincts are changing. Pretty soon you're going to have to learn to trust your senses or else you're going to be really surprised what hunger will do to a vampire."

The director closed his notebook and crossed the room to grab two water bottles that were sitting on a counter. "Before I let you go, do you have any questions for me?"

I thought for a moment.

"What is the relationship between this facility and the Council of The Inhumans? Why did they let you take us?"

Director Renolds gathered all of his supplies. "That's not a question for me, but for your councilmen."

Why wasn't he telling me anything?

Renolds motioned for me to follow him again and led me back to the metal room. "Your meal will be delivered in a few minutes."

I sat alone for a while until Violet was brought back in. Her once long blonde hair was now cut down to shoulder length. She had tear stains on her cheeks, and she was still restrained.