Chapter Seventeen: Freedom

©Ani_Mang
[All rights reserved]
2018
_________________

Lucy's POV

I woke up earlier than usual. The sun was out and shining, and Charlie was curled up at the foot of my bed. I could hear the movement of pots and pans downstairs along with the sound of running dishwater.

My mom was cooking.

I got out of my pyjamas and into a pair of leggings and black long sleeved t shirt. I pulled my black hair into a high ponytail and carried Charlie downstairs in my arms.

Both my parents and my little brother were sitting at the table eating pancakes and fruit. Alex was pouring himself a glass of milk as he waved at me.

"Good morning moonlight." He greeted.

"Good morning sunshine." I said in response.

"Lucy, come eat. Breakfast is ready!" My mom called.

I put Charlie down at the bottom of the stairs and sat next to Alex at the table.

My dad planted a kiss on the top of my head. "I missed you! I'm so happy you're back."

"I missed you all too" I responded. "We have to make the most of this break. We have to go back after New Years."

By the looks of it, the information I gave them took them by surprise. My little brother, Joshua, who hasn't said a word, stopped eating immediately.

"You have to leave?" He spoke up. "You just got here!"

"There's just a lot going on between the Inhumans and the humans." Alex said gently. "Our leader is contemplating war against the humans, and we got caught in the middle of it."

"We're not safe here." I added. "I'm so sorry."

I could see the disappointment on my parents face.

"On a happy note," Alex began. "Mr. And Mrs. Cruce, For the past few months, I've seen how amazing Lucy is. I would like to date your daughter."

He was blunt and to the point.

"Alex," my dad began. "You're a good kid,  I trust you, but after everything that has happened, I don't think now is a good time for you and Lucy to be together."

My heart sank a little.

"Sir, I promise that I will protect her just like I've done for the past few weeks. Please just give me a chance." Alex practically begged.

"It's up to Lucy." My mom chimed in.

I took his hand in mine, hoping that would be enough. Alex smiled down at me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

I quickly finished my breakfast and allowed Alex to lead me to my couch. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked brushing my hair out of my face.

I felt fine. "Why do you ask?"

"I just sense something off about you." He searched my eyes with his amber ones.

He genuinely looked worried.

"Never mind that. Let's go out!" He suggested. "I think you and Lee need to talk about what happened yesterday."