6 - Morphy Tournament

I looked over to the clock in the hallway and ran to the girl's locker room. I packed my bag for the tournament after school.

Water bottle, phone, Nike shorts, jacket, ponytail holders, earbuds, and a towel. I didn't really need to change shirts. I was wearing a plain white T.

I grabbed my phone and texted my parents that I wouldn't be home by 6 o'clock tonight. I was so nervous. What if I lose and Mei wins? I can't be thinking like that. I got to step up my game and try my best. I get out my phone and earbuds and began to play music.

I went out to the track and ran a few laps. After that, I started to stretch and get warmed up.

"Can I join you?" A slight voice came from a distance. I didn't respond because I couldn't hear behind the music playing.

The person tapped my shoulder and I jumped. "Woah you scared me there, dude." I said taking my earbuds out of my ear. I finally looked up to see who it was.

Caesar. His name just makes my body tingle.

"Heh, can I join you?" He asked again. "Yeah, why not? I mean, we both need to work out for today." I Said. We both laughed and began to warm up.

"How about we race?" He said.

"You'll beat me though. You are the fastest in the entire school. Aren't you?" I Said leaning in to his face.

"I doubt that. Let's do one lap around the track." Caesar said walking over to the starting line. "Ugh, fine. You're lucky I like running." I put my hair into a bun and walked over to the line as well.

We both got into ready position and looked at each other.

"Ready..."

"Set..."

"Go!" We both said.

I paced myself half way through the track. As we hit the next turn, I began to pick up my speed as I was falling behind.

"Come on now Mia! You don't want to get beat by me."

I was now running in first place while Caesar is a couple inches behind me.

"C'mon now Caesar. You don't want a girl to beat you!" I said.

He caught up to be and we were both running in sync.

We hit the finish line and called it a tie. "I see that you might be the fastest girl in school, you think?" Caesar said.

"I may..." I Said crossing my arms.

***

(Not on the track)

The bleachers started to fill up with people as they waited for Jesus and Mei to get here.

"Alright, alright, alright! Everyone get settled in, it's time for what we've all been waiting for!" The man spoke into the microphone. "Welcome to the Morphy Tournament!" People began to scream and shout.

I stood by the door waiting for my name to be called for me to walk onto the arena. I took a long drink of water and wiped my sweat away. I was way nervous than ever. There was so many people here to watch me fight Mei. I never wanted to fight her in the first place. But what she told me 2 days ago, she was really asking for me to beat her ass in front of the whole district.