Chapter 4: Payton Fails

Chloe's P.O.V.

Competition............ughhhhh!!!!!

My mom parked her car in the ALDC carpark. I helped take out the luggage from the back of the car.

Paige and Brooke were there, leaning against the bus. I ran to them while pulling my luggage. They hugged me. My mom started to chat and chat with Kelly.

This week we were taking a plane to Scottsdale, Arizona for In10sity Dance. So insted of riding the bus, we were taking a plane. But of course we were taking the bus to the airport.

I sat with Paige in the bus. It was very early in the morning, about 6.00 am. I was so very happy that I could sit with Paige in the plane.

We took a flight to Phoenix, and from Phoenix a bus took us to Scottsdale. We arrived at the competition building.

"Aaahhh!" "Woooo!" "OMG!!!" was all I heard. People were really excited to see us, But that's really normal.

Candy Apples came after us. But only a small crowd cheered. Today, Mackenzie was going up against McKenzie Morales from the Candy Apples in the 13-15 division. Really, really hope she beats McKenzie with the solo I once did.

We got ready quickly in the dressing room. Payton tried on her 'Garden of Eden' costume which was once Brooke's. No offence, but she was kinda fat that the back part of the costume tore a little bit. But Leslie and Abby insisted, "Don't worry Payton, you'll look fine. Better than Brooke."

"One more time, one more time Abby, one more time you say something about my kid, I will do something to you that's awful and nasty," Kelly hissed.

Abby rolled her eyes. I got into my costume. Me my friends followed Payton backstage (even though we were not even supporting her). We wanted to compare Brooke's version and hers.

"Please welcome Payton from Abby Lee Dance Company with Garden of Eden!" The presenter announced. Everyone clapped, except for us. We were just too nervous for Payton because she might not reach for Abby's expectations. I crossed my fingers.

Payton's tricks were mediocre. In my opinion, Brooke had done the tricks better.

Halfway when Payton did the handstand walk, she fell on her knees, got up, and ran to the other side of the stage, where the Candy Apples were. From backstage, I saw Abby crying in the audience. The moms looked at her like "What?" Except Leslie. Leslie was crying with her as well.

"Well, I guess Abby still favors Payton,

but I have to say Payton kinda failed in this dance," said Brooke.

"Still remember that time Abby was acting like this when Maddie performed In My Heart. Watudutudu," said Paige.

Maddie rolled her eyes. She hated those moments when Abby thought the world revolved around her.

"Crap! I'm still not in my costume! Follow me!" Mackenzie exclaimed.

Mackenzie got dressed in a trendy black outfit I wore before when I danced that dance. Then, the speaker announced, "13-15 solo division dancers please gather backstage now."

We followed Mackenzie to support her. She looked beautiful, just like the dance she is doing. McKenzie Morales was somewhere behind us.

Mackenzie had to perform first. "From the Abby Lee Dance Company, please welcome Mackenzie with Beautiful!"

Mackenzie nailed all the moves. I turned around to look at McKenzie Morales. Her jaw dropped.

Finally, when Mackenzie finished the dance, McKenzie was up next. "From Candy Apples Dance Centre, please welcome McKenzie with Dance is a Drug!"

McKenzie danced well, but after she performed, a tear came out from her eye. Then I overheard her talking to her brother, "My last pirouette was so sloppy!"

Kendall, Nia and Maddie had to dance their trio.

"From Abby Lee, in the 13-15 trio division, please welcome Kendall, Nia and Maddie with Cowgirls!"

Wow. I just found out that they really had basic dance moves. Like what Abby gave Mackenzie and Vivi-anne last time. They deserve more than these stupid dance moves.

Ugh. Had to dance my duet with Payton. But good news! Brooke's taking over! Since Payton and her mom left, Brooke will be the understudy.

"Are you sure you know what Payton's doing?" I asked.

"Yeah. 5 a la secondes, an arabesque and whatever," Brooke replied.

"That's all?" I asked worriedly.

"Don't worry, I'll change the choreography a little bit," Brooke assured.

I smiled. Brooke knows how to save the day. That's why I love her.

"From Abby Lee, please welcome Chloe and Brooke with Two Birds!"

I could tell Abby was surprised that Brooke was taking over. We could have just pulled thr dance, but Brooke was free and I wanted to do it.

Brooke was so good at every one of her moves. Her choreography was much better than Abby's. I'm hoping this wins first place.

Finally. Solo, duet and trio awards.

"In the 13-15 solo division, 4th place goes to McKenzie from Candy Apples dance centre," the presenter announced. McKenzie shrugged it off but was upset.

Now this is Mackenzie's time to shine.

"3rd place goes to Mackenzie from Abby Lee!"

Mackenzie beamed happily. 3rd place was enough for her. But I saw Abby's face turn into a frown.

"For duet awards," the presenter said, and continued, "We'll start from top 5."

"In 2nd place is Alyssa and McKenzie from Candy Apples with We Heart Apples!"

My time......fingers crossed.

"And in 1st place is Chloe and Brooke with Two Birds!"

I was so happy. So was Brooke. We went together to receive our award. But I saw Abby rolling her eyes and whispering to Gianna.

In 6th place for the 13-15 trio division is Kendall, Nia and Maddie with Cowgirls."

Blame it on Abby for giving them such stupid and easy dance moves.

"It's group dance...lets change real quick," said Paige anxiously.

We hurried backstage. Then, the presenter announced, "From Abby Lee please welcome, Saucers!"

We changed the name to 'Saucers' instead of 'Saucers and a Teapot' since Payton wasn't here.

I didn't really take pride in the dance that much, because.....ugh whatever. Just dance, Chloe.

The group dance awards were announced. "In 2nd place, is Abby Lee."

Candy Apples beat us with the group dance but I really didn't care because I was so freaking tired.

Good night guys.