ELEVEN

Eleven | we need to talk

"Do you realise how creepy that is?"

"It's not creepy. It's how you scare someone with quick reflexes."

"You aren't going to scare her, Tony. You're going to get punched in the face."

"You know what's funny, Wilson? That's exactly what I thought you'd say."

This was not exactly how I imagined waking up. I expected to wake up to chaos or quiet. Either that or not at all. Instead, I ended up waking up to these two people arguing in hushed voices.

I blinked my eyes open and glanced around the room, waiting for my vision to clear. Tony seemed to have given up on the idea of scaring me and instead, was standing next to Sam near the foot of the bed. The two of them were having a hushed conversation.

"How long are you two going to stand there like a bunch of creepers?" I asked, my voice sounding strained and tired.

They turned around staring at me.imshock before Sam ran to the door, pulling it open before shouting something into the hallway. I would have laughed if I didn't feel so tired.

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"An year," Tony answered, nodding morosely.

"Yeah, I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth," I said turning to Sam for an answer.

"I am hurt," Tony sighed. "I am really really hurt."

"Eight days," Sam answered, "which is totally normal for someone who lost as much blood as you did."

"Ok, but uh-" I frowned, confused, "how'd we get out of there?"

A panicked look crossed Sam's face and he turned to look at Tony who almost immediately stepped out of the room with a shake of his head.

"Uh- that's probably something you should ask... Natasha. Yeah, Natasha," Sam stuttered, slowly backing out of the room himself before I could say a single word.

Natasha walked in only a second later, warm smile on her face when she saw me. "I think we need to talk," she said.

"Yeah, we do," I said, still staring at the door in confusion. "What's wrong with those two?"

"A lot of things," Natasha rolled her eyes, "and if we get started on that, we'll never finish. Trust me."

"So, Sam said you could tell me..." I trailed off, looking at her for an answer.

"Right," Natasha said, taking a seat next to me. "But before we go to that, you should know that your dad is still out there. So that means you stay in the tower at all times. Do you understand?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Good," she said. "Now, do you remember that coding technique I taught you a few years ago?"

"Yeah," I nodded again.

"Well, someone sent us a code to let us know your location," Natasha said.

"I didn't," I frowned.

"I know," Natasha smiled. "It was Miles."

I stared at her, confused for a second before either started to shake my head. "No, no no no," I said, "he's not- it can't be him. He- he can't possibly have-"

"Trust me," Natasha said, "it was him."

"But Miles is... Miles is dead," I said slowly, still shaking my head in disbelief.

"But he's the one who saved you," Natasha said gently.

"He died when HYDRA infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D.," I argued. "I saw it. They told me-"

"They lied to you, Clarke," Natasha said, grabbing my shoulders to calm me down. "They sent him on a mission undercover and lied to you. But trust me when I say that he really wanted to tell you."

"Did you know," I asked softly after a beat of silence.

"If I knew, I would have told you," she said. "I promise."

I nodded, sucking in a deep breath to calm myself down.

"So, you want to see him?" She asked softly.

"I don't know..."

"You should know that he's been pacing back and forth out there for a while now," Natasha informed me. "He might actually win at that against Pietro."

I laughed, knowing how much Pietro hated standing still for any period of time no matter how short it was. He would end up pacing and Wanda would stare at him in annoyance.

"Ok," I nodded, "maybe it would be... nice to see him again."

"You sure?" Natasha asked.

I nodded.

Natasha stepped out of the room and walked back in a few seconds later. Miles Warren waved at me nervously as he followed her into the room. Natasha didn't stay long. She gave me a look, asking whether I was fine. I nodded and she left, leaving the two of us alone.

"You're alive," I finally said.

"You are too," he said. "Last time I saw you, you looked half dead."

I laughed. "You haven't changed one bit have you."

"I sure hope not," he said. "I have a reputation to uphold."

"As what, exactly?" I asked.

"The most sassy S.H.I.E.L.D. agent out there, obviously," he said, giving a look that said that it was obvious.

"You're crazy."

"And you love me for it."

I laughed. "Fine. Keep telling yourself that."

"Can I at least get a hug from my best buddy?" He pouted and held out his arms.

"Maybe just one," I joked as he wrapped his arms around me.

✳✳✳

As usual, Please consider giving a vote or leaving a comment to let me know what you think!
Thanks for reading!