NINETEEN

Nineteen | gunpoint

I froze when the words left his lips and looked up to see that he was holding a gun in his hand. A gun that was pressed to Wanda's forehead with his finger hovering over the trigger, ready to shoot.

"Now, I know that you're quick but, I have a feeling you aren't going to risk Wanda's life," Miles said, a small smile on his lips. "So, unless you want a bullet in her head, put the gun on the floor and stand up."

I didn't move for a second and he raised an eyebrow. "Fine," I said before doing as I was told. He was right. I wasn't going to risk Wanda's life. I wasn't going to risk anything until I found out what was going on because it was really hard for me to believe that Miles would actually turn on me. We had known each other for so long and if there was one thing I knew about Miles, it was that he didn't turn on the people he cared about.

When I raised my hands up to show that I wasn't armed, he pointed the gun away from Wanda and towards me.

"Miles, what are you doing?"

"What I came here to do," he answered calmly, standing up with the gun still pointing at me.

"What did they do to you?" I asked softly knowing that there was no way I was getting away from this situation. If he pulled the trigger, I was dead. I had to wait until the twins woke up or Steve finally showed up. Until then, I planned on trying to figure out what was going on and my best guess at the moment was that HYDRA had messed with Miles' head. It wasn't the first time I would have heard of or encountered a person complying to HYDRA's commands.

He just frowned, a confused look on his face. "They?"

"HYDRA," I answered. "You were undercover for what? Two years? That's probably enough time for them to mess you up."

"Do you really think I'm that bad at taking care of myself, Clarke?" He chuckled.

"You know that's not it," I said. "I just don't think you're the kind of person who would turn on his friends."

"Friends?" He scoffed. "What friends. You were the only person I actually interacted with the whole time in S.H.I.E.L.D and you were always cold and hard towards me. I never had any friends."

"Then what about this?" I asked, slowly lowering my hand to my pocket and pulling out the bullet Miles had given me for my birthday. It was something special to us. While we had been holed up during the mission, he had asked me whether I was his friend and I had said yes which was the truth. I could be cold towards people and I knew that, but with Miles, I knew I could be myself. Even though I was pretty annoyed by the fact that he messed up that mission, it turned out to be kind of fun when we were stuck there waiting to be rescued. We actually got to know each other outside of the training room.

Miles' eyes landed on the bullet in my hand and the grip he had on the gun loosened ever so slightly. He stared at it for a few more seconds before letting out a small groan. He lowered the hand with the gun completely and rubbed his forehead with his other hand. When he looked back up, that malicious look in his eyes were gone and was replaced with fear and confusion.

"Miles?" I asked softly, a little afraid that it might not be him.

He looked down at the gun in his hand and down at the twins lying unconscious by his feet. "Did I do that?"

"Yeah, you did," I said.

"I'm so sorry," he started rambling. "I am so so sorry. I knew this would happen and I wanted to tell you everything but I was afraid... of what they might do. They knew I was undercover, Clarke. They knew the whole time. And he did- he did all that to me and I couldn't control myself. I've been trying-"

"Hey, stop," I said walking toward him and placing a hand on his shoulder. He flinched at the touch and stepped back.

"She'll never look at me the same way," he mumbled.

I knew he was talking about Wanda but didn't respond to that because I had a feeling he didn't really mean to say that out loud.

He opened his mouth to say something but let out a cry instead. I stepped back as he bent over slightly, my eyes moving behind him a second later where I noticed Pietro stirring. My eyes went wide as he started to sit up and I shook my head at him. He gave me a questioning look, his eyes moving to Miles before he looked back at me.

Miles straightened up a second later and gripped the gun tighter. He turned around to look at Pietro and pointed the gun at him. "Can you outrun a bullet?"

"Miles, don't," I said drawing his attention back to me.

"Maybe he can outrun one but you definitely can't," Miles said, turning the gun back towards me. "I'm not here to kill him anyway. You are my mission."

Pietro stood up quickly, only appearing as a blur to me. He ran towards Miles to try and grab the gun but he seemed to have forgotten that Miles had his own powers. He opened a portal behind him and stepped through it, grabbing me from behind.

He pressed the gun to my forehead causing Pietro to stop. "You made a big mistake, Maximoff."

Pietro swallowed as he glanced at me, probably trying to figure out a way to stop what was happening. It wasn't until his eyes moved from me to something behind Miles and me that I realised someone was standing there.

✳✳✳

Shout-out to h0nestIy for being able to guess right! Congrats!

Yes, Miles is being controlled by HYDRA and more specifically by Clarke's dad who is bent on killing her no matter what.

Also, I seem to love cliffhangers now don't I? Wink! Who do you think it is? Why is that person here? Is he/she good or bad? Why does the author love cliffhangers? These are all questions we need answered!

On a happier note, tomorrow I will be published the last chapter and the epilogue! Yay! And as usual, please give a vote and leave a comment to let me know what you guys think!
Thanks for reading!