Let Her Go

Dedicated to you, Miss H for your awesome works. Keep it up.:)

___________________

You only know you love her when you let her go.

~AquilaAndromeda~

July 3, 2014 | 1:50PM

___________________

her

We did not grow up together. We were not best of friends. You were not a son of one of my Mom’s friends. You were not my classmate in High School up until College either. We were complete strangers living our own lives worlds apart from each other. But not until that incident happened.

I’ve always thanked life for allowing me to meet someone as vibrant as you. You were always excited and thrilled by whatever comes your way. I guess dealing with everyday challenges has become a fun activity for you that you tend to smile and laugh whenever problems and heartbreaks occur instead of dwelling with pain and suffering. You were not the type who takes life seriously. You knew how to look at things positively, no matter how hard the situations get. That’s one thing I have always admired about you.

Meeting you was no accident. I have always known that there’s this bigger reason why I met you on that December afternoon; something beyond your incidental spilling of ice-cold coffee on my reaction paper.

“What the—!” I almost cursed when I felt the cold rushing through my veins. I harshly stood up from my seat and tried to save my paper works from getting wet. But I was already too late. The paper I have been working on the whole week turned into nothing but sheets soaked in brown liquid. “What am I going to do now? This is due tomorrow. Ugh!”

As customers started buzzing about my sentiments, I looked at the person who was standing on my side who was obviously the owner of the cup of coffee that was spilled all over the table I was using. He was already caught red-handed, but as if he was not at fault, he just stood there and watched me panic because of my papers.

I sighed deeply before speaking. “Excuse me, Kuya. Can you please stop staring and at least ask for a rag or whatever to wipe all this out?” That was the best way I could deliver those lines.

He blinked twice before fidgeting towards the counter. He got back after a minute or two with a white cloth on his hands. But since it was so evident that he doesn’t have a clue on what to do, I stopped him before everything gets worse.

“Let me.” I grabbed the cloth from him and wiped the table, leaving just my soaked reaction paper resting on it. I picked up the empty cup from the seat beside mine and gave it to him. “Next time, be more careful, okay?” I said, more calmly this time. I got back to my seat and rested my head on my hands. “How am I supposed to redo all these?” I thought to myself problematically. I kept my eyes shut for some time and allowed my head to think of a way to finish my paper. I would not be fussing over such trivial matter if it does not mean that I have to hand-write everything again. “Why do bad things happen to good people, life?” I murmured, not minding the people seated near me.

“Uhm, excuse me… Miss?” an unfamiliar voice spoke from my left and I instantly opened my eyes to check if it was I the voice was referring to.

It was the same guy who accidentally spilled his coffee moments ago. I wanted to raise an eyebrow at him when I realized that wasn’t one of my abilities. So, I just stared blankly at him.

“Can I join you?” he asked, but before I could say no, he already sat on the chair across mine and suited himself comfortably as if my protests won’t make any difference.