Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Elisa woke up with a terrible headache and a pounding heart. This was not good. Not good at all. She ran towards Will’s room, shaking his body awake. ‘Will, wake up!’ He turned around and groaned. She let out a sigh. ‘Come on Will, we have to leave right now!’ He opened his eyes, looking at her with confusion.

‘What?’ He asked, stretching the “a”. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. He quickly sat up when he saw Elisa next to his bed. ‘Are you okay?’ A worried expression appeared on his face.

‘I am fine. But it is storming, we have to leave right now!’ She said hastily. Pulling his arm, Elisa managed to get him off the bed and into the hallway.

‘Why do we have to leave while it is storming?’ Will asked, not understanding what she was saying. He was somehow able to look cute, even though his hair was dishevelled and his face showed how tired he was.

‘Our raft can be destroyed any minute by the wind and the sea, so you’d better hurry.’ She said when he turned around to grab some fruit. When she spoke however, he turned towards her and ran outside, his hand grabbing her wrist. She ran after him, following him to the raft. He held on to her wrist tightly, but it didn’t hurt her. It couldn’t. He gasped when his eyes met the huge wave that was definitely going to destroy their raft.

‘Will! Stop!’ Elisa screamed when Will let her wrist go and ran towards the raft. Clinging to the raft, he tried to get it out of the water. She tried to help him, but it was too heavy and the wind and the ocean were too strong to fight against. They shouldn’t have left the raft on the beach, because of the tides. How could they have forgotten about the tides? They had been so stupid. She pulled Will's arm. 'Come on, don't do stupid things, Will!' That wave would not only destroy the raft, it would drag Will with it back into the sea. 'Leave the stupid raft, Will. It's not worth it!'  She yelled. The wind blew her words away, which made screaming a necessity. There was rain pouring down on them, hiding her tears between the raindrops on her face. The sky was still dark, it was probably around 4 AM. Wind was blowing fiercely over the ocean and through their hair. 

'Will!' She cried when the wave came crashing down on the raft. She had managed to pull him away before it hit him. The small second before the wave fell down on their hard work, was one she would never forget.

Will had just stood there, stiff and his eyes wide open. He hadn't made any attempt to move, he hadn't even dared to blink or breathe. It had been like her heart had stopped beating, like her eyes had stopped seeing, like her ears had stopped working and like her sense of feeling had been completely numbed. She was blind, deaf, numb and... empty. Yet she had been able to reach out and pull Will back with a force she had never known she had. She had been strong enough to throw him back, though she had to admit she fell down on top of him because she was still holding his arm and didn't expect the force. Her force. 

They fell on the white, sticky sand of the island's beach and her wet hair whipped against his bare chest. She was next to him, but her left arm was over his chest. Her head was turned towards him and her legs were somehow entangled with his. After getting over the shock of what just happened, she starting crying uncontrollably. Her chest went up and down, she shivered and her breathing was anything but regular.

Will closed his eyes and turned his head towards her. 'Thanks.' He said hoarsely and couldn't help but streak her tears away with his thumb. He brought her head to his chest where he felt her sobbing and her heart pounding. 'You're right. It was not worth it.' He lowered his head and kissed Elisa's wet, blonde hair. 'It was not worth it at all.'  She looked up at him, wondering why he was so certain all of a sudden. 'Nothing is worth being alone for your whole life on a forsaken island.' He said, giving what she said yesterday a new meaning. 

Elisa moved her hand to his face. Was this man unbreakable? Was he made out of concrete, out of stone? Why wasn't he crying? Beau had cried, even more than she had. He missed everything he had lost, he wanted to go back even more than Elisa. If that would have been possible. Beau had been very hard to please. Elisa had tried everything to make him happy, to make him smile. She wanted the satisfaction of being able to make him smile. But Beau had told her one night that once you practically lost your life, there was no reason to smile anymore. It had hurt. His words had hurt her. She would have given anything to make him smile back then. Beau had never appreciated Elisa being there. He had thought of her like she was an annoying twelve years old. Which she had been, definitely, but she was the one that had told him everything about the island. She had tried to entertain him, saved him from drowning and fed him when he knew nothing about the food on the island. Beau had never given her a smile. Not once. Yet he was the best thing that had happened to her. How miserable she was.

'How can you not cry?' She asked with her Brittish accent. 

'It's not worth crying.'

'Why not, we were almost dead.'

'Exactly. Almost. Which means nearly, close to. And we survived, Elisa. We survived.' The last two words were barely audible, and she wasn't sure if he was repeating it for her or just for himself. She had no idea how to think of a proper response for what he just said. Sure, he was right. But any normal human would have cried. At least of the shock.  

'Crying is human, Will. Just try, letting out your sadness will make you feel better.' She said, even though she knew crying was showing weakness and she had promised herself she wouldn't show weaknesses.

'Just smile.' He said flatly. If the situation wouldn't have been so serious, Elisa would have bursted out laughing. Instead, she thought of a better response.

'Why would I smile in this situation?' She emphasized the "why". 

'Because that's one of the few things that can... you know... make me feel better.' He said, blushing slightly when he spoke the last part of the sentence.

_____

Heey guys! I'm so happy, over 350 reads already!

Vote, comment, share, etc. :D

xxx Suzanne