Chapter one

please make sure to read the trigger warning in the description❤️

"Ryan, table 5," Hollie says, so Ryan picks up the plates. He feels almost sick from two plates of buttery pancakes with syrupy blueberries laid on top, more butter on the side as well as a piece of toast. A forced but believable smile rests on his soft pink lips as he walks over to table 5, placing the food down.

"Is there anything else you need?" he asks kindly. The girls look up from their phones briefly, then look back down and pull up snapchat, completely ignoring him. They seem 16 or 17, and Ryan can't help but immediately remember how ignorant teenage girls seem to be when they think that they're all that.

One of the girls notices him and cringes in disgust, raising an eyebrow.

"We have boyfriends, don't even try."

"Enjoy your meal," Ryan says as he continues to force the happy façade, turning and shaking his head as he passes a giggling Sarah. He grabs a rag and pretends to clean her table just to be close to his best friend, forcing a smile as the blue eyed woman laughs.

"Merveilleux, mon cher monsieur," Sarah says, smiling and softly clapping.

"Merci, ma chère mademoiselle," Ryan replies. Sarah chuckles softly, taking a sip of her milkshake.

"Oh, if only they knew," she sighs dramatically, taking a packet away and placing it next to her with one hand while tucking a piece of her dark brown hair with the other. Ryan looks around cautiously; It's not busy. He has time to spare, and his boss is busy yelling at one of the cooks.

"Whatcha got there?" Ryan asks quietly, still wanting to avoid being his boss's next target. Sarah looks at the papers as Ryan slides in the opposite seat.

"Oh, just another script," she says casually, but the expression on her face is hiding something. Ryan raises a suspicious eyebrow, but the girls suddenly gasp.

"Brendon's on T.V.!" one says, and Sarah look to the T.V. on the wall. Ryan rolls his eyes, scoffing.

"Teenage heartthrob Brendon Urie has been confirmed to play Daniel Jake in a new movie, Cabin," the news anchor says, a picture of him smiling displayed on the screen.

"I hate him," Ryan mutters. Sarah looks at him, confused, so he sighs and continues, "He's probably just some spoiled little brat who doesn't actually care about anything as long as he is admired for it. I wish there was someone to just slap some reality into him."

"That 'spoiled little brat' is my co-star," Sarah says quietly.

"I wonder if he even knows what- wait what?!" Ryan's eyes widen and she laughs some more, pearly white teeth surrounded by her perfect pink lips. She reaches for the papers stapled together, neatly and newly done nails barely tracing the papers. When she turns it, Ryan notices the cover. It has the word 'Cabin' on the cover, director name and story writers' names underneath.

"You're... oh, my God..."

"We will celebrate later tonight when those girls aren't here," Sarah whispers. Ryan chuckles. nervousness subsiding as he nods. Serious time, he can do that. "I don't even understand how you can work at a place with people like that?"

"I don't either." He shakes his head, looking down at the shiny metal tables that he has to clean a million times every day.

"Why don't you quit? You already have two jobs," Sarah says.

"I wish, but I can't. I'm... I'm looking for another job," Ryan informs her quietly, still looking down.

"Ryan, you're gonna work yourself to death! All you ever do is work, you need to take care of yourself!" Sarah says, concern plastering her clear face. Ryan's always admired how neat and clear her skin is, she almost never breaks out and it's wonderful when it comes to being a makeup subject.

"I'll be fine, I need money and the two jobs now aren't enough," he shrugs, but the unintentional sad expression stays on his face.

"Why do you need money?" Sarah asks, and his heart sinks. He looks down, scratching the back of his head.

"No reason," he mumbles. He nervously chews on his bottom lip, trying to avoid his best friend's gaze.

"Ryan," Sarah says sternly. He looks at her.

"I'm gonna get kicked out if I don't pay rent again..." he says nervously. Sarah goes to speak, but he cuts her off. "Major movie role, huh?"

"Ryan, why didn't you tell me?"

"You're gonna be in a huge movie."

"Ryan-"

"With famous people, like you're gonna be friends with actual famous people and-"

"Ryan!" Sarah says loudly, and he tenses slightly. She looks at him with sadness plastered across her face. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because then you would worry," he says truthfully. "All you would do is worry and I don't wanna take any charity. It's just... it's all-"

"Excuse you, you got my order wrong." The two girls are now standing next to their table, and Ryan forces his smile again as he stands.

"I'm sorry, what did you order?" He asks kindly.

"Blueberry pancakes," the slightly taller girl says, her curly light brown hair accompanying her mean look. She's pretty, definitely would be the most popular girl at school. She has a black choker matching her black jeans, blue jean jacket over her white tank top. Her arms are crossed.

"And what was messed up?"

"We didn't ask for toast," the other girl says. She's wearing simple jeans and a tank top, blonde hair just past her boobs. Sarah forces herself to not just ask if they're dumb.

"Toast comes with every meal," Ryan says.

"But we didn't ask for toast."

"No one usually does," Ryan continues to speak in the calm voice he has to use.

"We want a refund!" the brunette sneers.

"For... toast...?" Sarah asks, and Ryan clears his throat in attempt to not laugh.

"The toast is free, ladies," he quickly says.

"Don't say ladies! We aren't interested in you!" the blonde says.

"You say that as if he liked you in the slightest bit?" Sarah says, and Ryan mentally thanks himself for having a best friend since he moved from Vegas. Spencer would do the same in this situation.

They both stomp off to their booth, one of them saying, "Unbelievable!"

Ryan turns and sighs. Sarah pushes up her glasses and takes a sip of her milkshake.

"Merci beaucoup," he says. She hums a bit.

"Wait till they watch Cabin and realize that I stood up for you," Sarah laughs quietly.

"Ryan, table 3!" Hollie barks, and he sighs.

"I love you," Sarah says. Ryan smile a bit, using those words to make himself relax.

"I love you too," he replies, turning and returning to his job as his best friend opens her script once again.