June 1st

To say today has been one of the worst ones in a while, would be a massive understatement!

After a day of feeling like everything's going wrong, I think I'm finally at my breaking point.

Of course the shelter sadly had no rooms free again this morning, which was expected.

Then I went to see Joseph hoping desperately that I can do some work for him since my cash had completely depleted, only to find the normally lively bakery was closed.

Deciding to put off dealing with the painful hunger I was feeling at the time, I pushed forward and went over to the park.

Despite it being sunny it was also a cold 15 degrees (Celsius) today, not many were there for me to help. One lady got me to walk her dog but that only landed me $5.00 towards the food I was really needing.

So here I am, so hungry that I feel like I could be sick and cold enough that my face is going numb. I endure the icey walk towards the soup kitchen in dire need of the warm food they offer.

Of course, my luck doesn't come back in the moment I arrive there. Walking throught the door I can see tables filled with others, and I can't help but notice the line is non existent as I go over to the counter.

"Hello. Could I please get a serving of soup please?" I ask politely, confusion slowly taking over my features when I see no food on display like normal.

"I'm sorry, we were over loaded due to the cold tonight. We don't have any hot food left." The young man informs me with a regretful look.

Hearing the pain in my stomache growl out between us, I decide to just nod his way and go by the shelter for warmth before heading to my bridge for the night.

As I'm walking through the doors I only just entered moments ago, the man from before runs over to me and grabs my shoulder from behind. The sudden contact makes me jump since I rarely have human contact. Giving me an apologetic look before clearing his throat awkwardly, he brings a fraction of light back into my night.

"Umm... We still have some bread rolls left. I know it's not much but would you like to have one?" He offers with a small smile, holding a roll in his hand towards me.

"Thanks." I say with a small smile, grateful I at least have something to put in my stomach now.

I walk out with my head hanging low, feeling defeated while I try to eat the first bit of food I've had all day.

When I'm a few blocks away from the shelter I see a group of people near the alleyway up ahead. History has proven to avoid people on Friday nights, since people do stupid things while drinking with others.

Deciding it's probably best to go around the group, I go to the road and start to wait for a break in the busy traffic. As the traffic light changes red, I look over to check the groups where abouts only to see them taunting a small guy that can't be more than 15.

The local idiots were calling out to him, taunting him down the alley. The light changes green and the traffic flows again, but I can't help the pull that tells me to keep an eye on how far they go.

Hearing the hurtful words and laughter continue, I quickly make my way closer without drawing attention. They have some nerve in them, to even start spitting on the poor kid who is clearly scared out of his mind by the giants around him.

I find my feet moving without my knowledge as I go closer to the group, deciding it's better I take their shit instead of this kid.

The moment one of them raises his hand to harm the shaking boy, I find my courage to interfere.