Dean ≫ Terrible Things

Dean was smiling at your 15 year old son. He sat next to his father and looked up at him.

"Dad? What happened to Mom?"

Dean sighed at the thought of you. He gave a small smile at your son.

"You just look like her."

Your son looked at Dean with a sad expression and hugged him.

"By the time I was your age, I'd give anything.To fall in love truly, was all I could think." Dean started your story. Your son listen carefully.

"That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams.The most beautiful woman, that I'd ever seen"

Your son smiled. He had only seen you in old pictures.

"She said, "Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing? I can't help but notice, you're staring at me. I know I shouldn't say this, but I really believe, I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me."Now, son, I'm only telling you this Because life can do terrible things."

Your son nodded. Life is a bitch. So is Fate. Death can't be avoided.

"Now, most of the time we'd have too much to drink.And we'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything.Too young to notice, and too dumb to care.Love was a story that couldn't compare."

Your son smiled at the thought of love. Love was beautiful in different ways.

"I said, "Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing?I made you a present with paper and string.Open with care now, I'm asking you, please.You know that I love you, will you marry me?" Now, son, I'm only telling you this because life can do terrible things.You'll learn, one day, I'll hope and I'll pray,
That God shows you differently."

Dean stared at his son as if he understood the story. Your son stared back and he could see Dean was having a hard time telling the story. He was on the verge of crying.

"She said, "Boy can I tell you a terrible thing?It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks.Please, don't be sad now, I really believe,You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me." Slow, so slow I fell to the ground on my knees."

Then your son understood. He understood how you died. How you didn't want to leave but life can do terrible things. You wanted to watch your son grow up and you wanted to grow old with Dean. He now understood his father, how much he deeply cared for you. How deeply he was in love with you.

"So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose.If you're given the choice, then I beg you to choose.To walk away, walk away, don't let her get you.I can't bear to see the same happen to you."

Dean warned his son. He didn't want the same fate he had to his son.

"Now, son, I'm only telling you this.Because life can do terrible things."Dean finished.

Dean had tears falling. Your son was hugging your dad once more. The only thought Dean was you. You, your son and himself. A happy family he never got to experience.

(The song is call terrible things by Mayday Parade. The lyrics are in italics.)