CHAPTER 7 - AUDITION

CHAPTER 7 – AUDITION

Eric followed James and the others as they came to a small temporary studio. Taking a look at the familiar surroundings, Eric's heart started to thump faster. Silently eyeing the various gears and props, he vowed to himself:  "The day will come when I'll become a legendary figure that people will look up to, and when later generations mention Eric Williams, people will think: He is Hollywood."

Since he was the author of the screenplay and had a better understanding of the characters, they just decided to skip the pointers.

In his past life, Eric had acted in diverse small roles in many movies and TV shows as it was the best way to get some recognition. A producer or director might have noticed him, and at that time, a small phone call could have made the difference. You never know when an opportunity will come knocking on your door.

Penny Marshall chose a few scenes for him to perform, the play was very simple to begin with, adding to the fact that Eric had practiced for the past few days and that he had a perfectly clear picture of the original movie in his head, he performed with ease.

James Brooks and Penny Marshall were startled. Eric's performance was nothing like that of an inexperienced novice. With this kind of standard, he wouldn't need any training at all, they could just start filming!

"Next, Eric, try out this scene." Penny smiled and handed the script to Eric. The latter found out that her face wasn't showing disappointment and he breathed a sigh of relief. He was afraid there might have been something wrong with his acting.

The scene depicted in the script took place on the school's bleachers, when Mike comforts his daughter who has just broken up with her boyfriend. This was the scene he liked the most, some of the lines were just classic.

"Miss Penny, I'll need the help of an actress for this one."

"Of course," Penny Marshall said and turned towards the girl next to her: "Teresa, you go help Eric rehearse."

The scene was only two minutes long, so Eric and the girl got it down quickly. Teresa only needed to remember the lines, she was just there to help him get in the mood, while Eric had to seriously feel and experience a variety of emotions; concerned when he saw his daughter crying, mad when hearing she might have slept with Stan, comfort her when she was sad, and helpless when she tried to throw herself at him.

Once they were ready, a staff member shouted "Action!", and their performance started.

Maggie sits on a box of props, pretending to cry.

Mike steps forward, his face full of concern.

"Hey, Maggie ? What's wrong ?"

"Go away." Maggie shrinks her hands back into her sleeves, she ignores Mike as she continues to cry.

"Hey, seriously what happened ?" Mike sits down next to Maggie.