Chapter 146 - The Dilemma

Compared to the 《Indiana Jones》 series, which has a strong box office appeal around the world, the series «Ghostbusters» had no advantages, because the movie type was comedy, and comedy movies are not easy to remember as, after everyone laughed and laughed, there was nothing left.

And the shooting time between the two parts of the series is five years apart. For a comedy, the loss of popularity over time is even greater. If it weren't for Colombia not having a continuation for any other series of movies to put out this summer, they would not have started this project.

However, Colombia's efforts to spare no expense in this film have made up for most of the disadvantages. Although it is still worse than the frenzied propaganda of《Running Out of Time》, compared to the summer advertising of other film companies, the propaganda in Colombia was completely as if they didn't want to make money, but simple make their box office goals, their true goals were indeed this.

Negotiations with Sony for acquisition have entered the final stage. The Japanese are determined to eat a fat sheep this time. As a result the ultimate goal of all business operations in Colombia is to raise the stock price. For listed studios, box office data is one of the most influential factors in stock prices.

《Ghostbusters II》 was released on June 16th. After the first week at the box office, the $45 million data made the Colombia executives ecstatic, knowing that the first week of the 《Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade》 was only 46 million. This also means that 《Ghostbusters II》 is likely to be like the 《Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade》, and according to the evaluation agency's expectations, get nearly 200 million US dollars in the North American box office.

But this excitement only lasted for a week. In the second week, the box office of 《Ghostbusters II》 dipped directly, with a drop of 55%, and only got just more than 19 million in the second week at the box office.

The box office appraisal agency quickly lowered the box office estimate of 《Ghostbusters II》, and the box office valuation of 200 million US dollars was reduced to 110 million US dollars. The Colombia share price that had been rising rapidly did not fall due to this news, but the rising momentum slowed down. After all, as one of the six giants, the summer film is the main film, and it is really nothing special to get a box office of about 100 million.

The reason for this drop is that, except for the film's reputation after the film was released, the film was not as good as the first one. The most important thing was that the film had a bad luck and ran up against «Batman».

«Batman» started from the first serialisation in 1939, and now it has run for half a century. For this first superhero in the history of North American comics, Warner was not very optimistic the chances of this movie. This lack of optimism was reflected in the budget.

Compared to the large-scale productions budget of nearly $50 million, Warner had only provided $35 million in production costs for Batman, which is inferior when compared to the size of blockbuster budgets, even that of «Ghostbusters» and 《Running Out of Time》. Although 《Running Out of Time》only cost 34 million, Colombia provided a budget of 40 million US dollars at first, whilst 《Ghostbusters II》 had a budget of 40 million US dollars.

Because Warner was not optimistic about Batman, Colombia did not put it in their eye, so they put 《Ghostbusters II》 in the week before «Batman» was released.

But everyone had far underestimated the influence of this half-century superhero in the eyes of Americans. On June 24th, «Batman» was released. A week later, this comic book hero had swept away the rivals with a $68 million box office, occupying 45% of the total box office in a week, and smashing the box office of many other movies.