Chapter 6 Kaidyn

"If you're in labor, why is this nigga brushing his teeth?" I spoke looking from Marcus to Chantel with confusion evident in my tone. I didn't know what these freaks were doing and I didn't want to know.

"Long story, just help me get this bag together." Chantel spoke marching around the room in shock.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" I shrieked when my bare foot stepped in squishy, green, thick, vomit. "Please tell me this ain't what the fuck I think it is, Chan-fucking-tel!"

"You might wanna go wash that off."

I took a deep breath and cut my eyes at Chantel for not warning me and made my exit.

Before I could make it out of the room, my slippery foot, lost its balance and I fell forward, hitting my forehead on the floor.

"Kaidyn!" Chantel called, pacing towards me and kneeling down. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, Chan." I spoke holding my head and rising up from the floor.

I hopped out of the room and made my way to the bathroom. After rinsing the vomit off of my foot, I took a look in the mirror and noticed a huge red knot on my forehead. Dria's voice echoed through the house in search of Chantel. Walking out of the bathroom, we bumped into each other and took a few steps back. Her eyes were fixated on the protruding knot as I glared in her direction.

"You might want to let me take a look at that."

"I'm fine, go take care of Chantel."

I watched as Dria coached Chantel through breathing and helped her outside. We all got into the truck while Marcus drove to the hospital.

"I really love you guys, I do." Chantel cried while clenching our hands.

I smiled and locked eyes with Dria who was already crying. I couldn't even enjoy this beautiful moment, due to my throbbing headache.

We hadn't even made it five steps into the hospital before Dria spoke in what seemed like a foreign language to the nurses and doctors. Marcus and I followed behind Chantel closely as they led us to the delivery room. Something about Marcus wasn't right. He seemed a little off but I didn't want to over my boundaries by asking.

Watching Chantel suffer and sweat made me think twice about having a baby. Marcus held her hand tightly while kissing her forehead but the contractions had her full attention. I needed a breath of fresh air, so I stepped into the hall to process it all. I brought my head up from my lap when hearing a familiar voice call my name.

"Kaidyn?"

"Huh?" I spoke looking up to Daniel.

"She having the baby?"

"She's in labor."

"Ain't no telling how long that'll take... huh?"

I moved over on the bench, making room for him and he sat down.

"Damn, girl. What happened to your forehead?"

"Long story." I exhaled.

"Shit, we ain't got nothin' but time."

"So where's Jamaica?" I spoke changing the subject and taking the attention away from my knot.

He looked confused but laughed when making sense of my jab.

"Oh, you mean Jelly? She's at work. She said she'll swing by later."

"Nothing wrong with that."

The silence between us grew awkward before Daniel spoke.

"You found a job yet?"

"I mean I've had a few interviews and callbacks but I'm trying to find a place I feel comfortable, you know?"