roomies

Parking in the student lot, I get out and observed the campus from behind my opened door. It looks better than the pictures I saw online. Thousands of students gather around, some trying to run away from their mothers who didn't want to let go of their beloved children, freshmen wearing loads of Shasta gear, and college jocks throwing around a football.

Hell, I didn't want to bring it to your attention, but I even seen someone stumble on their shoelaces, trying to see if anyone noticed. I turned my head around quickly, mumbling out a laugh.

The orientation was actually kind of fast. I barely paid attention, but let's hope I won't die without that information. One of the people in charge handed me my room key.

Room A23

Somehow my ass ended in the C hall. A student notices I'm out of order and makes his way over to me.

Assuming he's a student aid.

"Hi my name is Nathan Hunter and you seem to be a bit lost. I'm a student aid, and I can help you out if you give me your number." His deep, husky voice dance threw my ears, giving me a breathtaking smile.

I had to admit, he was handsome.

He was a tall, white man. Long blonde hair pulled back into a low man bun, with the occasional golden stray strands hanging loose. He spotted a five o'clock shadow along his chiseled jaw and lord knows I'm a beard girl.

Wmw.

I returned the smile. "How about we focus on just the room for now."

He awkwardly scratched his neck and chuckled. "I meant the room number." I let out an 'O' expression and handed the key over. Awkward. "Ah, room A23. Let me take you there." He smiled and guided me to my room. We made small talk about the campus and other things. I found out he was a sophomore, and he was majoring in forensics and minor in art. What a coincidence. He was the same age as me (18), and he's been volunteering at the college for a couple of years.

We finally make it and I stand out the door to thank him. "Thanks Nathan. It was nice talking with you." I reached out my hand for him to shake, instead he pecked my knuckles. That brought shock to me.

Slow your role buddy.

"It was a pleasure Adonis. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll see you around." He winked, turning around and walked the opposite way.

I slide the key in the keyholes and turn, opening the wooden door with a creak. The room had two medium beds, two desks, and a mini refrigerator right beside the TV. What caught my eye was the left side of the room. KISS, Bon Jovi, and Michael Jackson posters decorated the wall. A speaker blasted Love Lies by Khalid and Normani. Mini neon lights lot up the head of the bed. A girl lays on the bed with a big, curly brown afro and beautiful makeup to complement her light skin, slightly bobbed her head to the rhythm of the chorus. So into her zone, she hadn't even noticed I was there.

I think I'm going to like her.

I clear my throat which catches her attention. She looks up and offer a smile. "Hey, you must be the roomie. I'm Bella, but some call me Bell as in a doorbell." she says while getting up onto her feet.

"I'm Adonis and I'm a first year, so take it easy on me." I sat down my luggage to shake her hand.

She laughs then bites her lip. "You sure a an 'Adonis'." She returns my handshake with a little spark in her eyes.

"I hear that a lot, but I'm really a potato." I casually waved off.

"Hell, then you must have extra bacon bits."

We stand there quietly for a second then bust into a pit of laughter.

"Well Adonis, welcome to the University of Houston. I bet you will have an eventful year here. If you ever need something, just ring me. Get it? Because I'm a doorbell."

Wow, she's going to have to do better than that.

"I know, I'll have better ones for you soon. Today's just an off day."

Did I say that out loud?

"Yes, yes you did. Now come on, so I can give you the grand tour." She smiled.

We shared another laugh as she grabbed my hand to go out the door.

I could always unpack later.