Chapter 2

Jay's POV

After I showed Erin to her room, I hear the shower turn on while walking to go put a shirt on. Just as I'm about to turn the corner to the living room, there's a knock at the door. I groan as I walk back to the front door. Looking at Carly and Chance playing with each other in front of the couch. I open the door, expecting my uncle to be standing on the other side, but to my surprise it's Allie, my girl-ex girlfriend.

"Allie what are you doing here?" I say as she pushes past me.

"Did you get a new dog?" She asks pointing at Erin's dog.

"No."

"Then who's dog is that?"

"You need to leave." I say. Ignoring her question, and grabbing her arm; pulling her back towards the door.

"Chance." I hear from the guest room.

"Shit." I mutter to myself as Allie yanks her arm away from me, and walks to towards the room. Then Erin walks out, and they nearly run into each other. Erin stops, and takes a step back.

"Who the hell are you?"

"I uh I..."

"I'm not even gone three days, and you find the nearest tramp to bring home?" Allie yells as she turns to look at me.

"Excuse me?" Erin yells from behind her, and I walk forward and quickly grab Allie's arm again. This time, I damn near drag her to the door.

"Goodbye Allie." I say as I gently push her out the door, and shut it behind her.

"Look I'm sorry about her, she's-" I begin, but she stops me.

"It's fine."

"I really am sorry."

"I've been called worse." She says tucking a strand of her wet hair behind her ear. She bends down to pet the dogs, and starts talking to them quietly. I notice that she has dimples when she smiles after Carly licks her cheek. Her dimples only add to her beauty has I take in her pale skin, and tiny frame. She looks up then, and her stunning hazel eyes lock on mine briefly before I look away.

"Uh can I get you anything? Something to drink or eat?"

"No thank you, I just came out to get Chance."

"Oh ok." I say looking down.

"I'm sure this isn't your first choice for an assignment, huh?"

"It's no problem." I say, and she gives me a smile, and crinkles her nose a little.

"Right, well goodnight."

"Goodnight." I say back.

"Come on Chancey." She says, and he obediently follows her. I watch as Carly takes a few steps forward; stopping and tilting her head when the door closes lightly.

"Let's go to bed Car." I say to her, as I turn the living room lights out. And just as I'm about to go to the kitchen there's yet another knock. I turn on my heel to go open the door. I open it, and this time it's my uncle.

"I really hope you're the last person that knocks on my door tonight."

"How's it going?"

"Well if you don't count Allie just barging in here, and calling her a tramp, I'd say it's going ok."

"She asleep?"

"I don't think so, she just took the dog into the room a minute ago. Do you want me to get her?"

"No let her be. Look Jay, this is an assignment, and I'm counting on you to remain professional. You may be my nephew, but if anything happens between you two, I won't hesitate to get you get off the force." He says, and I think about how his daughter, my cousin Michelle came about but I bite my tongue on that.