Chapter 28

"Always." She whispers against his lips, before giving him another slow kiss.

"Where's Chl-" She begins to ask, but the muffled noise their puppy lets out from down the hall stops her. Chloe trots towards them with something in her mouth, and Jay realizes what it is, but there's nothing that can be done as Erin kneels down, and pulls the puppy into her arms; taking the jewelry box out of her mouth. Jay smiles weakly at her, as he decides to get down on one knee. He wipes his hands up and down his pants, and takes a deep breath, before doing what he wished he would have done last week.

XXXXXX

"I should have done this last week, and that's just another thing I'm sorry for. It was wrong of me to lie to you, and I promise to never do it again. And other than that, this last week has taught me that there are so many things, and people that come and go, and I don't want you to come and go. I love you more than I knew was humanly possible, and I can't imagine life without you. So Erin Lindsay will you do me the incredible honor of marrying me?"

"Hmmm I don't know." She says, and Jay's smile falls

"I'm kidding Jay, yes of course I'll marry you." She says handing him the box, and he takes the ring out, as she puts Chloe down. He takes her hand in his, her soft skin sliding along his rough, callused skin sends a new sensation from the tips of his fingers down to his toes, causing his smile to widen. The ring fits perfectly, and once it's in place he presses a kiss just above it. He stands up then, and she keeps her eyes on her hand. He places two fingers under her chin, and pushes up so her teary eyes meet his.

"I love you too." She says giving him a kiss "So much." She adds, looking at her hand laying on his chest, more specifically the ring on her finger.

"It's beautiful."

"It was my Nana's."

"What?"

"My Nana gave my mom her engagement ring when she was sick, told her to give it to Will or I when we found the one. When Will was planning on proposing to Natalie, I thought he'd take it, but he went, and bought one; said she really wanted me to have it for my girl." He says, giving her another kiss. Chloe barks from her spot between their feet, causing them to pull apart, and look down. Jay picks her up, and she licks his face as he stands up straight again. Erin pets the puppy, as she turns in his arms, and licks her face with even more enthusiasm. The big stone twinkles in the soft light of the living room as she runs her fingers through the thick black fur of the youngest member of their family.

XXXXXX

One year later

The constant clicking of her heels against the marble of the old courthouse seems slow, and calm compared to the hammering of his heart. He thinks back when they first discussed adopting, in hopes calming his nerves.

*Flashback*

They're laying in bed after visiting the youngest members of the Halstead, Ruzek, and Atwater families.

"When my brother told me that Nat was pregnant, he said you're having the next one." Jay says with a chuckle. "I guess I never would have thought we'd be here, five months away from our wedding, and hopefully not too far away from that being true." He says, and he looks down to where she's laying on his chest. She's tracing mindless patterns on his skin, and she's staring at the front of the room.

"Babe." He says, gently squeezing her side.

"Uh yeah, that's crazy."

"Did you even hear what I said?"