Chapter 19

When she closes the door, she turns around, and lightly slams her hands on it, and then angrily wipes away her tears. She doesn't doubt him, but she does doubt his feelings for her. How, or more like why would he want to be with her? He could have anyone, so why would he choose her? She doubts herself, and whether or not she's really worthy of his love. She shouldn't have come back, she should've known the other shoe was bound to drop, and that it'd be dropped by her. Her thoughts run wild, and at some point she starts to pace, her legs seemingly moving on their own. Her tears stain her face as they continue to stream down her cheeks. 'What have I done?' She asks herself when she eventually collapses onto the edge of the bed.

XXXXXX

He just stands frozen in the kitchen. His fingers turning white as he grips the counter behind him. His head is tilted down, and his eyes are clenched shut. It takes several minutes for his heart rate to slow back down. He wants to go and kick the door of the guest bedroom down; wants to pull her into him, but he tells himself 'She needs space.' It feels like hours since she went into the room, but it's only been minutes. Once again his phone ringing breaks him from his thoughts.

"Hey mom." He says sadly.

"Hello dear. I was wondering if maybe you could come fix somethings at the diner for me again please?"

"Of course, when do you want me to come by?"

"Anytime in the next couple of days will be fine."

"I'll try to come by tomorrow after work."

"Thank you."

"No problem." He says

"Is everything alright sweetheart?"

"Uh yeah." He says as he walks to his room.

"Jay Ryan Halstead, don't lie to me." She says sternly.

"What's wrong? Are you ok? Is Erin ok? Should I come over?" She adds, a little panicked

"Physically we're fine, you don't need to come over."

"Then what is it?"

"It's nothing, we just had an argument."

"About?" She asks, and he sighs. There's a pregnant pause

"I understand if you don't want to talk to me about it, but you should talk to someone honey. It'll help you see that arguments are normal in relationships. If you don't fight every once in a while, then you're not letting each other in on how you feel." His mom says, and then he decides to tell her.

"We went to the grocery store." He says, looking down at his feet.

"I assume there's more to it than that?"

"Allie was there, and she said some things; did some things."

"I know you already know this but I never liked that bitch." Ms. Belle says; surprising her son.

"And now Erin said she needs space."

"Then space is what you give her, just don't let her stray too far out of your reach. Let both of your emotions simmer down a bit, before you attempt to fix things." She says, and he nods, forgetting his mom can't see him. Then he hears someone in the background.

"I'll let you go." He says.

"I can multitask."

"I know you can, but I'm good."

"Alright well I'm always here if you need to talk."

"Thanks mom."

"Ok, go have some dinner, and then try to get some sleep." She says, and he chuckles sadly at that; knowing sleep won't come easy, if it comes at all without Erin laying in bed with him.