Chapter 27

"I was taught to never go to bed angry."

"I guess it's a good thing I'm not angry." She says as she walks past him. She goes to another one of the guest bedrooms, and closes the door. She takes a couple deep breaths as she locks the door before making her way to the side of the bed where she removes her jeans, and bra; leaving her just her t shirt, and underwear. Scratching at the door stops her from getting on the bed, and she walks over to let the dogs in. Carly looks back who she assumes is Jay before she too walks in, and she shuts the door again. She then climbs into the bed, and pulls the covers up. She's exhausted, her whole body feels heavy, yet she can't fall asleep. In the room next store, he lays the same way, looking up at the ceiling. Neither of them get any sleep before Jay walks into the room she's in, seeing that she's still awake. He sits next to her on the bed, and cups her jaw as a lone tear escapes her eye, and rolls over the skin of her temple. He turns her face towards him before he begins to talk.

XXXXXX

"I'm sorry, I thought it'd be better not to tell you where I was going. I was sure you'd think something was going on between Abby and I."

"And you thought lying to me about going to see her, would be better?" She asks sarcastically

"I know it was stupid, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I ruined your birthday, and I'm sorry I left Lottie's."

"Tell me what your history with Abby is." She says sitting up.

"There is no history Erin, at least not the kind of history you're thinking of."

"There you go lying again Jay."

"It's really not what you think." He says taking a deep breath.

"Abby ran cultural support during my last tour. Mouse and I became really close with her, and we all met up in Vegas a few weeks after coming home. It was for a funeral for a guy in our unit who didn't make it back. We were all pretty shook up; blacking out most nights. The last night I was there, was the most sober night I had in weeks. Mouse was passed out in our hotel room, and Abby and I went back to her room." He says, and he sees her; feels her body tense. "We just talked and laughed about stuff I don't even remember, but then she says we should get married. I thought she was joking, but she was serious, and she even said she loved me."

"What'd you say?" Erin asks quietly.

"I said I didn't feel that about her, and I left, and came back here."

"Did you?" She asks, and he gives her a confused look.

"Did you really not feel that way about her?" She clarifies

"Why is that important?"

"It's not, I just want to know."

"I honestly didn't feel that way about her, not then and certainly not now. I love you." He says both of his hands up to cup her face, and leaning to kiss her but she turns her head

"I love you too Jay, but you still lied to me again."

"I know, but it won't happen again." He says quietly, and she nods.

"I'm tired, I'm going to try to get some sleep." She says laying down again.

"You're not going to come to our bed."

"I just need some space Jay." She says, and then there's a pregnant pause as he watches her roll onto her side, so her back is to him.

"Right." He says sadly, and he places a kiss to her head, before getting up, and leaving the room. Once he closes the door, more tears fall from her eyes, and she eventually cries herself to sleep.