Beginning Of The End

(January)

Zephaniah

It's just an ordinary day in January. I thought my life was okay.

The man that appeared changed my life forever.

His name was Steele.

Steele advances down the playground towards us. I step forwards, ready to defend.

It is fruitless to resist, he says in my head, I am ultimately more powerful than you.

We'll see about that! I say. Without a warning, Steele flashes his whip. It catches me across the face, blinding my right eye. It fills with blood and my head spins due to the pain it caused. My left eye starts going fuzzy. No, I won't pass out, I thought. I could feel a pull in remnant as Steele did something to someone, but I couldn't concentrate enough to work out what it was. I saw the tunnel, and pulled myself out of it. My vision cleared in my left eye. I stood, dripping blood from my face and hand where I'd pressed it against my eye. Then Megan screamed, a ghastly despairing sound. I looked over to her, and saw Elyssa laid out on the floor.

She's dead.

I grab Steele in a death grip. "Give her back! Giver her back, now!" I scream at him. He laughs and shakes his head. "Orb. Now." I demand. He won't give me the orb he has made to encase Elyssa's soul. "Maybe we need persuasion?" I pull out one of my Ninja knives. Steele's smile slipped.

"Okay, okay! Don't impale me!" he said, tossing me the orb. I don't hesitate. Running to Elyssa's side, I crack open the orb. The purple mist floats out and I use remnant to push it back into her body.

For a few moments, nothing happens.

Then she coughs and wakes.

"Zeph, your eye!" she exclaims.

"Don't worry about me." I say. I turn and face Steele once more. He is building remnant rings, opening the entrance to Truth and Lies, trying to kill us all. I reverse the process, but he fights. The rings build in power and size, crackling with electricity. Every now and again, there's a minor rebound. As the rings grow bigger, the rebounds become more frequent until...

All the power discharges at once, exploding through my body and sending me flying. It is the worst rebound I have ever experienced. I hit the ground. I can hear people calling my name. I can't process much, just a face.

I pass out.