Bad Omens and Happy Events Part 2

Ruth

Zephaniah is late. Not really late, just ten minutes. He scans the plaza, sees me and walks straight over.

"I found Neman." he says.

"Who?"

"Not who, what. Come on!" he half leads, half drags me to the restaurant. The waiter ushers us to a table. Zeph takes out an orb and sits it in front of me.

"Where did you get that?" I ask.

"An old lady had it on the bus. Now, see the colour. What's wrong with it?" he replies.

"It's black. An anti-soul?"

"Correct. This is the soul of one of Nashesh's victims. I don't know which, but I have an idea." He puts the orb away. "I'll focus on it later. At the minute, I have a bigger concern."

"Which is..." I ask, almost fearfully.

"What pizza I'm gonna have."

I laugh.

The meal goes spectacularly. Zeph supplied several jokes in the meal, and true to his word, didn't focus on the orb.

When we reach the plaza, something happens that I don't expect. My parents are stood there, like they promised.

"Wait here," Zeph tells me. He goes over and speaks to my parents, then comes back to me. "Now you're 16, I can ask you a very important question. You don't have to answer straight away, I'll give you time."

What question?

The question?

Proposal?

"Marry me." he whispers into my ear.

All the blood rushes to my head and starts pounding in my ears. I don't know what to say. "Okay." Did I really just answer that? The hell? What's happening?

It doesn't matter. Better now, seeing as Zeph may be dead soon.

"I'll get you a ring once exams are done." he whispers, then leaves. Mum comes over to me and hugs me.

I can't believe it.

Soon, I'll be getting married.

Oh God.