Invitation <3 (Chapter 6)

The pic on the right is of Emma :) ----------------->

The voting button thingy is over there as well, you know~ ---->

click away! :)

Enjoy!

Chapter 6- Invitation

            Christa-

            It was Thursday afternoon, and Holden and Emma had just arrived safely, pulling their luggage through my doors. They’d flown in from Texas; they were returning from visiting Emma’s parents. Their rental car was parked in my short drive, and I counted it comforting that it would fill the empty space, if only for a few days.

            I surprised myself by hugging Holden, his arms feeling just as loving as I remembered them to be. And Emma, with her beautiful brown hair and icy blue eyes, stood in the doorway and watched us reunite. After a moment, I spoke. “I’m so glad to see you guys,” I nodded to Emma. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”
            “Nice meeting you,” she said casually. The air around us both felt smothering; but hopefully that would clear on in a bit. After I ushered the couple to their separate rooms, I invited them to walk with me down to the beach. I’d taken the day off as lifeguard to help them get settled in, but tomorrow I would unfortunately have to work.

            While Emma and Holden changed clothes, I found myself recounting the events from Tuesday evening with Louis. After our serious conversation at dinner, we headed out back with the cheesecake, and any serious conversation we’d had dissipated. Louis was all fun and games then, telling jokes and stories about times with his friends. His pal Harry seemed like a funny and respectable guy, so much so that I actually asked if I could meet him. “Oh, he doesn’t live around here. You’re forgetting I’m not American,” he’d responded jokingly, albeit a bit nervously. “He may come visit me sometime, though,” he’d conceded as an afterthought. Regardless, I still saw Louis’ real life in England as quite intriguing. It made me think that there was another reason for his ‘vacation’.

             I’d finally asked Louis to sing for me. “Oh, no… I can’t,” he’d said.

            “Why ever not?” I said, mocking his wonderful accent once again. With a smile, he’d declined for the second time.

            “I’m not…good at it. I’m afraid you wouldn’t like my singing.”

            “I like you already,” I said. “Why wouldn’t I like your singing voice?”
            “Maybe some other time,” he cooed lovingly, and with another grin, he rose from the table. “It’s time for you to go home.”
            I protested, wanting nothing more than to sit and talk with Louis for a bit longer. He agreed only after I suggested a walk on the beach, and we headed out, still deep in conversation. The topic of religion didn’t come up anymore, and I found myself wondering about his real thoughts about God. Did he even really know that God was around, like he’d said? Or had he been just trying to please me for the moment? I feared the latter; but I wasn’t about to assume anything.