Two

~ Newt's P.O.V. ~

Flashes of Dr. Ava came into my mind. From my point of view, I was looking at her face, then around at a small operation room. On the table a little metal device glinted in the dim lights and I realized I was in (y/n)'s room that I had just visited her in. Dr. Ava's and (y/n)'s voices flowed into the scene, overlapping.

"The tugging happens because of the strength of your bond..."

"How long have I been away from him?" 

"Who do you think got you in the same Maze as Newt?"

"...can be, for lack of better word, dangerous if I am honest,  but it is also your biggest strength..."

"...he would never."

Dr. Ava left and doctors came in, moving fast in speed as if the memory was being fast forwarded. I looked down to my- (y/n)'s- arm. A needle pricked the skin, a slight sting coming as the needle was taken away. I looked to the ceiling, then it was dark and I was falling. 

~

I landed on a floor, shining glass walls around me. "Newt!" I turned at the voice, looking carefully for (y/n) as her voice echoed. I saw her briefly running down one of the halls. She was dressed in white. I chased after her, calling her name. I slammed into glass and stumbled back, holding my nose. I looked to my faint reflection in the window. I was also dressed in white.

"(y/n)?" I turned, looking as her figure chased down another hall, calling my name again. "Love, I'm right here, stop running." I ran to where she had been, but when I turned, the hall was empty. At the end was a door, though, cracked open. I held my hands out, as I walked forward, afraid I would hit glass again. 

I gripped the knob, opening the door. When the door was open, a shimmering image of  a young boy came to surface. "Ben! (y/n)!" The boy went running and the image followed him in snippets until the two were at a table. Behind me, I heard (y/n)'s voice again. I closed the door, walking back down the hall, searching for her. I heard my own voice echo to me as I walked. 

"What's the Glade?" (y/n)'s response to me was a murmur as I quickly walked passed the hallway. I realized these doors were (y/n)'s memories, but I didn't understand how I could be here. I walked forward to a door that had been left open, an image of water shimmering  on the surface. I realized this was the small lake at the Glade. 

"When we get out of here, we'll live by the water like this."  The tugging feeling came to me with (y/n)'s voice and I reached out to touch the surface. When I did, I was pulled into it, falling forward in a bright light.

~

I landed on the ground, groaning as I opened my eyes and looked around. 

"Newt?" I turned on the ground, chest aching at the familiar voice. When I turned, (y/n) was sitting by the lake edge. I scrambled to her, tackling her. She laughed, hugging me."I'm sorry you had to go three weeks without me. I didn't even realize so much time had gone by." I pulled away, a confused frown coming to my lips. 

"How did you...?" (y/n) sighed. 

"You weren't there when Dr. Ava told me. I also learned my memory device was faulty and blocking whatever device allowed our 'special abilities.' They... they took it out and therefore fixed whatever the blockage. That's how I pulled you here into my head." (y/n) tapped a finger to her forehead. "I remember a little more on how to use the abilities, but since they took out the device, not all of my memories have come back as quickly." I stared down at her, eyes searching her face. 

"The device, was that the thing on the table on your room?" (y/n) nodded, then froze.

"How did you know that? I showed that to you?"

"Well, yes, but also Delilah brought me to your room, or more the one-way mirror looking into your room. I saw it." (y/n) hummed, placing a hand against my cheek. I leaned into her touch, putting my hand over hers. She smiled at me, running her thumb along my cheekbone.

"I didn't realize how much I missed you until now." (y/n) whispered and I huffed a laughed, moving her palm so I could kiss it. Beside us the water lapped at the edges of the lake, soaking the edges of our clothes. 

"I missed you too." (y/n) took her hand from my face, wrapping herself around me instead. I turned us over so (y/n) was laying on me and we just lay there, quiet and holding each other. Soon, (y/n) pushed up against my chest.

"I have to go. The doctors are coming to check on me. I love you. I'll see you soon." I opened my mouth, wanting to find something to say, yet nothing came. The ache  came back as (y/n) slipped from my arms, then everything went dark. 

                                                                                                 ~

I woke to knocking on my door, as I have every morning the past few weeks. As I got ready for the day, my memories from the night before and the dream slowly came to me. I felt a new wave of relief and confusion wash over me. The dream felt so real, yet part of me doubted it, fearing it was another way of WICKED to mess with my brain.

"Newt, are you okay? You seem out of it." Tommy asked me quietly as we walked forward to the dining room. Delilah sent me a look before I turned to answer Tommy. 

"Yeah,  just tired is all. I didn't get much sleep last night." Tommy just nodded and we left it at that. 

Original Publish Date: June 4, 2018