Epilogue

~ Time Skip by a Year ~

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I woke up to an empty bed. The moon was still shining through the window, however, so I knew Newt wasn't awake on the account of it being morning.  Over the months, Newt had been able to learn to partially walk again, but he needed to use a crutch or a cane as support when he did so. I took notice as I looked around the room that his cane wasn't in its usual place by the bed. I sighed out of my nose, then reluctantly pushed the blankets off of me. I shivered at the chill of the air, then quickly grabbed one of Newt's sweaters, pulling it over my head as I walked out of the room. 

"Newt?" I softly called out as I padded into the kitchen, rubbing at my arms despite the sweater over me. I wasn't worried about how loud my voice was when I called for him a second time, as both Tommy and Minho were able to move out of the house three months ago to one down the street. As more houses were built, the more people were capable of moving in on their own if they wanted. Others stayed together, too afraid of what their trauma would do to their mind if left alone. 

I found Newt on the back porch, his cane resting beside the door as he leaned against the railing. I let out a soft breath as I came behind him and slowly wrapped my arms around his waist. 

"What are you doing up?" Newt asked quietly, one of his hands coming to rest over mine, then he laced our fingers together. I rest my head on his back. 

"I could ask you the same thing." I answered, placing a gentle kiss to his shoulder. Newt let out a sigh at my reply. 

"I had them again." I frowned, shuffling so I was between Newt and the railing, but in a way that still allowed him to rest his weight on the wood. Newt's eyes were watery as he turned them away from me. 

"You could've woke me." I whispered, letting my hands come to gently brush over his face so Newt would look at me again. 

"You need the rest." Newt argued, eyes sliding down to meet mine. I gave him a small smile. 

"Baby, so do you." Newt didn't answer for a moment, he only swallowed, staring down at me. One of his hands fell to my waist, hugging me close. 

"I had a dream that I hurt you." Newt said finally. "That the cure didn't work and I hurt you." Newt's grip tightened as his voice cracked. "The blood- and- and I- you-" I gently shushed Newt as his breaths grew short and shallow. Newt's forehead came to rest on mine as his shoulders shook. "It all felt so real." He murmured and I let out a breath, knowing it was better for Newt to let this out than bottle it up. 

"I know. I have them too. It'll be okay. I'm right here, and I will always be right here. We both will." I loosened Newt's hold on my hip, bringing his palm to rest flat on the growing bump of my stomach. Newt let out a shaky breath, closing his eyes as he gently ran his thumb over the bump. "Take a deep breath, okay? Then hold it up to eight and let it go. Can you do that?" Newt gave me a small nod, holding me close as he did as I said, repeating the action a few times before his eyes slid open again.

"I don't want to hurt you." Newt whispered. I gave a slow shake of my head. 

"You won't. You're completely safe. Delilah made sure. We'll be okay. There's no more Flare for us, or the baby. I promise." Newt hummed, still resting his palm over my belly. For a moment, we were both quiet, standing there in the moonlight as the water lapped against the shoreline not far from our porch. 

"Sometimes I find it hard to believe we're here- away from WICKED and the Maze and everything else in between. I'll wake up, and my first thought is about helping run the Glade or making sure we're safe in the Scorch." I nodded in understanding. I had many nights and mornings where I woke up in the same way, panic scratching up my throat because I had forgotten where I was.