Chapter 2 | Warm (1)

Three days past and I could finally walk about on my own. Great. Which meant it wouldn't be long before he would kick me out. He being Kenny.

Each day he brought me food, richer than anything I had had before, though no doubt peasant food to the swarms above ground.

Each day I got fresh water and I gulped it down eagerly. How he could get all of this was beyond me but I didn't complain.

A click of the door signalled his entrance. Kenny had only come in once in a day for the past three days, each time for food and water, then left.

But this time was a bit earlier than before and I had to wonder if he had somewhere else to go. But Kenny marched in without either food or water and I had to suppress a noise of disappointment.

"You can walk now?" I said nothing. "I'm not deaf, I can hear you moving. I also don't want you cluttering up the place-"

"Please mister, I don't want to go back to her!"

He was quiet. Then- "Get up, we're going." My eyes widened in terror but I couldn't complain, my mouth wouldn't move and my voice wouldn't work.

I was going back, going back to her. And my life would carry on as it was. But what Kenny had said when I woke up first, that he didn't want any more dead kids on streets, well it seemed a little pointless. I would be dead soon anyway.

Needless, I dragged myself up and went over to Kenny as he waited at the door. I got a chance to look at the parts of the house I could see, not that there was any point.

I knew the walk back like I knew every pale scar on my body. No words were spoken and as we neared the house, my hands began to tremble.

I had no idea why he was still walking with me, why he 'escorted' me back home but I didn't ask. Less likely to get attacked.

Then the door came into view and I whimpered, slowing in my tracks. But Kenny didn't look back as he gripped my arm and dragged me forwards with him, no doubt recognising it from when he saw me first.

"Please-" My voice was broken and full of pleas but he didn't even spare me a glance. What did I expect to be honest, but I suppose a part of me wanted to believe that he would help me.

He knocked on the door, once, twice, three times, each one like a death knoll. Moments passed then the familiar rasping of breath and stumbling grew louder as the occupant drew up to the door.

The door swung open and a haggard face with a tongue like a dagger spat out, "What do you want?"

Kenny didn't even flinch and dragged me in front of him. At once my mothers face lit up and an awful snarl twisted her mouth. "You filthy beast where have you been?"

Quicker than a whip she reached for my arm and began to drag me in the house. In that moment I forgot about Kenny, forgot as the shadows of the house I had barely seen in my childhood loomed up in front of me.

I forgot about Kenny, until a hand was on my shoulder and prising my mothers fingers off me. "I never said I was giving her back."

The sharpness in the woman before me was terrifying, but I remained motionless. What did he mean? "It appears to me that all you were keeping her around for was to feed you. I have much more use for her."

"So what, you want to steal her from me?"

"No, I'm taking her into my custody. Think of it like an untimely transferral of parental ownership." I didn't understand what he meant but, apparently, neither did my mother.

"I don't know what game you're playing-"

"No game, just keeping my benefits around me." I began to grin, I wasn't going back. Kenny gripped my arm again to move me along but I needed no persuasion.