Chapter 16 | Cadets (3)

The sun was bright and warm as it shone on my face, so I turned away and and covered my head with the pillow. There were a few groans beneath me, followed by a particularly loud snort.

Today was the day.

On the other side of the room Edda and Fern were already dressed and ready to go get breakfast but if the snores below me were any indication, Aren was still fast asleep.

I peered over the edge of the bunk and saw that she was sprawled halfway off the bed and the blankets were tangled in a mess at her feet. Good thing I was there for the wake up call.

"Hey guys, watch this." I whispered to the other two and they turned to look, faces breaking out into grins when they saw the pillow in my hand.

I slammed the pillow down onto Aren's face and simultaneously yelled "Wake up sleepyhead!" She yelped, fell off the bed and in the process of getting to her feet she whacked her head on the bed frame.

The twins and I were in hysterics, they were doubling over and I had tears in my eyes, laughing so hard I was struggling to breathe. Even the glare from Aren did nothing to sober us up.

"You guys are so dead."

Fern raised her hands. "Hey don't look at us, we just watched."

"You could've stopped her!" Aren hissed.

I snorted and collected myself, though the smirk still reached my ears. "Yeah, but what would be fun in that be? Besides, I had to give you one more present before I moved."

Recognition clocked on all three of their faces and Aren squealed. "I can't believe I forgot, you're a captain now!" She practically dragged me off the top bunk and shoved some clothes towards me. "Come on, you need to look ready for the Commander!"

"Christ Aren, it's not like a ceremony or anything, I'm just going to get the info for my new team." I said.

"Yeah but this is big, your first promotion." Edda clapped me on the shoulder as I struggled into my shirt.

"Hey Fern can you pass me my- oh thanks. Captain isn't that great guys, now squad leader is a place to be, though the pressure would be immense." I shimmied into my black trousers, something I had acquired on a trip into the nearest town.

"Already aiming for the top? Just make it as a captain Thena, then we'll see." I nodded at Aren's words. "But hey, now you're on par with Captain Levi. I'm sure you'll have a lot to discuss." I shoved her face away as she got closer with a suggestive look upon her face.

"The day I get along with that pipsqueak is the day the world has gone to hell."

"Aww, but I thought you two used to be close." Edda said. I faltered in my steps to the door.

"Yeah, but that was years ago. We've both changed." I paused for a moment, caught in my thoughts. "I'm going to see the Commander, see you guys later."

As I left, I could hear their voices whispering in a girlish manner. "Oh my god guys, we have to get them together!"

"Yes! They've got to still have some feelings left from whatever they had."

"And since Levi's our captain, we can drop hints..." Their excitable discussion faded as I walked away but I had to chuckle. If anything was ever going to happen between us again, god forbid, it would be on my terms, no one else's- good intentions aside.

Captain Athena Harrow, team leader- that was me. Apparently the Commander thought that promoting me was worth it, despite my outburst but I wasn't complaining. Yes I was a little nervous as how to handle some fresh recruits, but I had enough faith in myself and them to hold back the worry.