Chapter 12 | Denial (2)

That night I tossed and turned in bed, not able to drift into the endless slumber. I blamed it on the fact that I was so used to waking near the night, yet I knew that it had something to do with the two most solid figures in my life.

I was loosing them, and I didn't think I wanted to. I'd only known Jack for a few days but I knew I couldn't let him slip from my fingertips. And Levi... I didn't know what to think. He used to be everything to me, most of the reason I woke up every morning. But now-

"No, that tree is mine." Aren grumbled from the bed beneath me. I sat up, not knowing what to make of that comment and bent down to look at her. Aren was still asleep, faced towards the middle of the room and now quiet. I even waited a few moments to see if anything else would happen but nothing did. I was SO going to tease her tomorrow.

Heh, if I could even stay awake tomorrow. I was used to little sleep but I needed at least some to function properly. So I turned my attention to the window, at the night sky beckoning above.

Silent on now feline paws, the window slid open and I slipped into the cold outside. Maybe instead of avoiding sleep to run in the night, I could ask for it to sing me to rest, to guide me into slumber like it guided in my waking motions.

And soon the cat became the wolf, content to roam through the night but ready to lay down its paws to breathe the quiet breath of sleep.

Of all the things that entailed being a captain, Levi hated doing the paper work the most. On top of all the usual crap, which included any new potential recruits that were sent his way as well as to all the rest of the captains and higher ups, it was all well and good until he was doing paper work until late into the night.

Not that it mattered, Levi wasn't really one for deep sleep anyway, and he supposed that was to do with the reoccurring nightmares that wrenched him from sleep with heavy gasps and silent pleas.

With a small sigh and rubbing of his temples, Levi sat tiredly on a chair. No matter what he did, their faces still stared back at him behind his closed eyes, cold, dead, and alone. All three of them.

Yet now he knew one of them was still alive, the one he had indefinitely loved more than himself, for perhaps the third time in his life Levi didn't know what to think.

She hated him, despised him so thoroughly and Levi wasn't sure how to get her to trust him again. Because it was as she said; she taught him everything he knew, she gave him everything she was, and she gave him her undying trust to never leave or abandon her. And to the woman, that was what he had done- the worst thing he could've done.

But enough of that, he wasn't going to get anywhere by sulking, and a yawn soon threatened. The window was open and drawing in a cold breeze so Levi went to close it.

Yet as he did, a flicker of movement caught his eyes and Levi sharpened his gaze to the moving shadows.

A dog of some sort trotted away from the compound out to a copse of trees. It was too hard to tell from the distance it was at, but Levi knew that it was Athena. And he was about follow, to give chase when the shadows whirled and a bird rose from where the canine was moving before. It soared up and over the trees, warranting any chase pointless.

A broken sigh left Levi's lungs and he turned back around to his bed after pulling the window to.

Of all the things he had done in his life, there was only two things he regretted, and he wanted to rectify one of them- he couldn't let Athena slip away from him again, he was sure of it.

Levi's resolve steeled as the minutes went by and as that time ticked on, he realised that sleep would not be fourth coming and the night would be long.