Chapter 8 | Prize (2)

"Lune wait! The Boss is having a meeting now, you can't go in!"

I ignored the young girl and barged my way past her. The voices on the other side of the door were quiet but I slammed it open nonetheless, snarling as I did so.

"You lying, conniving son of a bitch!"

The Boss didn't even look up, instead murmuring to the others around the table who then left in a hurry.

After coming back from Lobov's manor house I didn't even bother to wash off so I now stood in front of the Boss covered in blood and chains hanging from my wrists. There was a feral look to me I was sure, but I paid it no heed; I was going to wring his neck.

"You bastard! You sold me out!" As I spoke I lurched forwards to him but hands were on me, holding me back from the Boss.

Instead of confronting my rage, the lanky male ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Lune, now is not the time. In case you didn't notice, I was-"

"You set me up! I was in that dungeon for days!" I seethed at him, shadows flying and fangs bared.

"The only one who set you up was yourself. I merely took advantage of the situation." I went to dash forwards again but the hands were like iron holding me back.

"I am not your dog to do as you want-"

"I am your superior. You agreed to listen to me-"

I spat at his feet. "We had a deal!"

The Boss's face darkened. "Interrupt me one more time, girl, and you will be slaughtered." A cold wave settled in my stomach as I recognised the killing calm. But still I was furious.

"You are despicable. A traitorous-" I froze. His eyes were now fixed on mine, an icy clear green that sent shivers down my spine and made my blood run cold.

"I can't have such childish wretches in my organisation."

"But-"

"Discipline her. And do it properly this time." Shit. The last time- shit.

Now I was trembling and started crying out as I was dragged away. The pain last time- it was unthinkable and if it wasn't properly done before...

But no one even made a noise at my struggles. Not when I was thrown into a dark room. Not when I was chained, bloody and terrified, to the walls. Not even when a masked figure entered the room with a multitude of instruments.

And I could imagine that down there no one could hear my screams.

****

Days could've past, weeks for all I cared. The pain was secondary. All I felt was terror, because I knew that there was no giving in, only enduring. And once I was out on the other side, unless I did as I was bid, it would happen again. And again. And again, until I obeyed like a dog.

I never saw the face of the man who was 'disciplining' me, though I knew the feel of his knives against my skin, the lashing of rope across my back. It was never enough to debilitate me but fuck it hurt like hell.

When the Boss himself came in, however, I knew the time spent in here could be almost over. He would say if I was obedient or not, he would let me out or keep me in. And I was actually scared.

"You can leave. Thomas, get in here." The door slammed then footsteps followed. I didn't bother to lift my head as the two entered. "Have you learnt your lesson?"

"All this to teach me something?" But my reply was halfhearted. I couldn't muster the ire needed, nor wanted to at that point.

"You know, I was going to save this little titbit of information until a later date, yet this seems almost more poetic." At this I raised my head and met the Boss's eyes. He was amused.