Chapter 22 | Nightmare (3)

"Oi get your ass up!"

I groaned and rolled over under the sheets.

"Thena come on, don't make me go in there!"

I still didn't move, ignoring the voice outside the door.

"Right that's it, I'm coming in!"

The door banged open and someone piled in to my office, not pausing for breath to go straight into my adjourning room.

Aren didn't do the typical thing and just open the curtains, no, that annoying child decided to launch herself onto me. And let's just say it hurt.

I wheezed at the sudden weight and practically folded in half. "Aren what the hell!?"

She sat up and pulled a face. "That's what you get for being a lazy bones." Aren patted my bed in expiration. "Come on Thena, it's our day off!"

"Yeah, and that's why I'm sleeping in."

"No, that's why we're going into town!" She shook me roughly so I had to sit up and push away her away. Knowing she wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed, I sighed and swung my legs over the edge of the bed.

"So.. what are we doing?"

Aren clapped her hands; she was too excited. "I thought we could visit some shops then go for a bite to eat afterwards."

Great, shopping. "Do I have to pretend to enjoy it?"

I got a clap on the shoulder in return. "Of course you do." Aren said with the most threatening sweet smile she could conjure. I shivered slightly.

In response to Aren's unspoken threat, I went to my wardrobe and pulled out my uniform but paused at a screech. "Absolutely not! What you think I dressed up nicely just for you to go strutting about in your work clothes? Are you trying to embarrass me?"

I muttered some obscene words but she either didn't hear or ignored me. Then I saw her outfit and choked on air. "You're not making me wear something like that, I'm literally begging you."

"Why not?"

"Because I hate skirts, and the only time I'd wear a shirt like that is as a form of armour."

"You're such a joy-kill." Aren grabbed my shoulders and started pushing me out my room. "Come on, I've got something that you could wear in my room."

I spluttered. "Aren I'm in my night clothes! You can't seriously-"

"As of this moment, I hate you all."

None of them reciprocated my distaste for both the situation and the outfit, all three trying and failing to hold in their howls of laughter.

"Yeah, but come on Thena- You look so pissed off right now, I just can't-" Edda broke off into a wheezing laugh. Even Fern was grinning.

Aren had had to make a compromise when it came to what I was wearing. When she approached me with a long flowing skirt I almost bit her hand off so she settled on a shorter skirt with some trousers underneath, but even that was a push- I didn't want a skirt and she didn't want me to wear the trousers. I looked ridiculous.

The shirt buttoned up at the front with long sleeves and no frills, unlike the blouse Edda had thought up. Somehow they had all gotten hold of brightly coloured fabrics, maybe talked to Jack about it since he did used to be a clothes merchant.

"Well as long as this is it, then that should be fine. I guess." I was still resigned to the fact that I was wearing a skirt but I didn't want to ruin Aren's day since she said she wouldn't go into town if I didn't wear it.