Chapter 31: One Last Chance

George’s POV

 “Sometimes giving someone a second chance is like giving them an extra bullet for their gun because they missed you the first time.” ~Anonymous

 A lump formed in my throat as I blinked nervously just by looking at my phone for the nth time this afternoon. My hands fidgeted as I tapped and scrolled down nervously at the thread of conversation Ken and I had over the phone.

Today’s the fateful day we’re going to talk. Yes, I finally found the courage to confront him and have that talk he’d plead for weeks.

‘Second chance.’ I mumbled after I sipped the frappe I ordered in one of the coffee shops here in Rockwell.

‘More like a third chance, Georgina Arboleda.’ My mind corrected.

Giving second chances wasn’t easy. So what more if it’s the third time and the last? The hardest, I must say. It was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life. And I swore that it would be the last chance I’ll ever give Ken. This third chance would be the last straw for our relationship.

If he screws this up again, waste it, and then fuck him and his sorry ass. I’ll kick him out of my life for good. With a determined look on my face, my hands crossed and swore to the deepest of my heart and hypothalamus that it will be the last chance for Ken and me—last chance for us.

A screeching sound put me out of my reverie and saw Ken dragging a chair away so he could sit.

“George.” His voice strained a bit.

“Arellano.” I don’t know why I can’t call him Ken out loud. Ever since our relationship went downhill, I felt like calling him Ken out loud will burn my tongue and lips.

“Do you want another croissant? Coffee? Frappe? Water?” He asked as he looked terribly anxious.

My eyebrows rose at his sudden sweetness and thoughtfulness. And I can’t help but be a bitch to him.

“How about an explanation?”  It wasn’t a question; it came out as a demand.

Ken flinched from the way I’m treating him now. Maybe he’s not used to this side of me. Or maybe he thought that since I was the one who texted him to have that talk meant that I’ve forgiven him. Well he has to think again.

“Order a coffee or anything you like. I guess this talk will last for hours, Arellano.” I suggested so I can breathe normally again. He rose from his seat and made his way to the counter.

Once I saw Ken’s features; sullen, ragged, and deprived of sleep I can’t help but feel guilty and bad about myself. My heart immediately went out to him. Not that it really was his to begin with, my heart was and would always be with him—my heart was his.

I could tell that I wasn’t the only one who felt miserable these past two weeks. All I’ve ever thought was my own pain. I’ve been selfish. Selfish to the point that I’ve disregarded Ken’s pain.  

Lulled in my own bubble, I haven’t noticed Ken’s presence. A clearing of throat popped my little bubble and looked into his eyes. They were never the same eyes I adored looking at. His eyes lost the sparkle they once had.

I guess that’s what pain does to people. It sucks people’s happiness and lively vibes. And this time, I was pain’s selfish assistant. I was the one who inflicted pain to Ken. I was the one who suck the happiness and liveliness at Ken’s life.