|Decisions~11|

|•••|

|•••|

Minho and I had gotten back from our long run with sweat running down the sides of our faces. Minho headed to the map room as I went to the showers.

Alby had very graciously installed a lock on the door, so whenever I was in there alone I could lock the door so no other Gladers would get in. I took a quick shower, but it was long enough to get the grime and sweat off of me. I changed into knee clothes I often wore at night, which were joggers and a t-shirt.

Minho and Newt has come to say hello to me before they were ushered into a keepers only meeting, which apparently would decide what job I would be assigned to. I begged both Newt and Minho to try and convince the rest of the keepers to let me be a runner. Minho gave me a thumbs up while Newt didn't really say anything, which scared me. I watched Newt and Minho walk into the homestead, analyzing Newt's limp even further. It didn't look like he was limping because he was in pain, but he was limping because he physically couldn't walk normally. What happened to his leg? I sat a little ways outside of the homestead, picking grass as I waited for the keepers to end their meeting.

After about and hour and a half, Zart walked out of the building. He was then followed by Winston, Gally, and all the rest of the keepers. Everyone except Newt, Minho, and Alby. I waited for a few more minutes before growing impatient and walking up to the homestead. Cautiously, I opened the door and peaked into the room.

"You can't let her, Alby! Please change your decision!" Newt pleaded Alby.

"Why do you care so much what Carina does?" Minho asked Newt, crossing his arms.

"You know why! And you also know just as well as me that the maze is not a forgiving place," Newt glared at Minho.

"Newt," Minho placed his hand on Newt's shoulder. "You can't protect everyone, even Carina," Minho told him. Newt glared at Minho, brushing his hand off of his shoulder. "Look I know with the whole dream and such you want to protect her-"

"And yet you still voted for her becoming a runner," Newt cut him off. I had decided I heard enough as I closed the door, quietly, praying that they didn't hear me. I went back to my spot in the grass, sitting down and waiting for Minho, Newt, and Alby. Alby was the first to walk out. He passed me, throwing me a pitiful look. I tilted my head in confusion, but he just sighed and walked away. Minho was the next to walk out. He ran up to me and grabbed me in a hug, jumping up and down with my stiff body in his arms.

"Congratulations...Runner!" He yelled as he place me back on my feet.

"Seriously?" I acted surprised. I picked up from the conversation what job I had gotten. Minho nodded so quickly that I was becoming dizzy.

"We're gonna be partners," Minho smiled at me. I smiled back. That must've been a condition. If Newt didn't want me to run at all, Minho must've persuaded him to let me run if I ran with him. But why did Newt care so much if a I became a Runner or not? What's the big deal?

I heard the door slam shut behind Minho. I stared over Minho's shoulder, although I already knew who it was. I stared at an angry Newt. He glared at the ground before noticing I was staring at him. As he looked up, his glare didn't soften. He squeezed his fists before stomping away, back into the homestead.

"What happened?" I asked Minho. Minho looked at the homestead door where Newt had disappeared as he knit his eyebrows together.

"Alby said you could be a Runner, that's what," Minho sighed, hanging onto the Runner armor around his chest and neck area. "Carina," Minho looked at me. "Go ask him."

"I thought you told me to ask him at the right time," I crossed my arms.

"Now is as good a time as any," Minho shrugged with a chuckle.

"Wish me luck," I patted Minho on the chest as I walked past him.

"Luck!" He yelled to me before the Homestead door closed.