|Nightmares~15|

|•••|

|•••|

I stared through the eyes of my fifteen self. The nightmare appeared in front of me, coming straight out of the fog it always did. The scene appeared around me as I was thrown back into the torture I had endured every night for the past week.

I stared straight ahead through the window, staring into the room behind the glass. The room was small. It contained two metal medical tables, some counters and cabinets filled with different medical supplies, and a small metal table in between the medical tables.

I watched as the door clicked open to the room and the guards dragged in a girl who was thrashing about. The guards and the girl were followed by a few doctors, who started setting up immediately. The guards strapped the girl down to the table, using metal cuffs that clicked around her wrists and ankles to contain her body. She stared at the window, which to her was a one way mirror, but she knew I was looking back at her.

She had dark hair like mine, but she was much paler and skinnier than me and I was already pretty skinny. She had dark hazel green eyes, which looked like a muddy emerald color. She was shorter than me and looked only thirteen or fourteen.

"S-Carina!" She screamed at the window, stuttering over her words. Her voice was rough and scratchy as if she hadn't had a drink of water in forever. Her hair was neatly combed and she looked clean, other than the dark circles under her eyes. "I know you're there!" She screamed. A commander walked up next to me, a touch screen in his hand.

"Commence the operation," I commanded. The commander nodded as he tapped on the screen.

"You're my sister! You can stop this! Please, Carina!" The girl screamed. The doctors around her placed a mask on her face, forcing her to breath in a clear gas that made her fall unconscious.

"I don't want her to feel any pain," I told the man.

"You never do," he mumbled under his breath. A small tear trickled down my cheek as I watched the doctors operate on a girl that claimed to be my sister.

"Make sure they are gentle with her when the place her in the box. I'm trusting you to oversee the rest of the operation," I told the man. He gave me a simple nod and watched as another tear ran down my face. I turned to leave but before I could, he grasped my arm.

"Remember, WICKED is good," he told me. I replied by yanking my arm from his grasp.

"Then find a different way for a cure," I spat at the man. He glared at me, but didn't hold me back as I marched away from him, heading back to my station, chanting the same four words over in my head.

WICKED is not good.
WICKED is not good.
WICKED is not good.

•••

I awoke with a jolt, sitting up in the bed as I felt hot tears run down my face. I felt Newt shuffle besides me as he realized I was awake, since I had shot up out of his grasp.

"What's wrong?" He mumbled from his spot laying on the bed.

"S-sorry. I didn't mean to wake you," I tried to stop myself from crying.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sitting up next to me. I looked away from him, nodding my head. "Carina," he whispered, placing his hand on my chin and turning my head to look at him. He noticed the tears glistening in my eyes and running down my cheek. He rubbed his thumbs over my cheeks, wiping off the drying tears. "What happened?"

"It-it was just a nightmare," I whispered to him.

"It's okay, I get them too," he told me.

"J-just stay with me," I mumbled. He nodded.

"Of course," he whispered to me as he laid back down, pulling me down with him. He laid flat on his back and wrapped his arms around my body as I rested my head and hands on his chest.

"Thank you," I whispered to him.

"I'll always be here for you," he let out a deep breath.

The more I thought about it, the more the nightmare terrified me. It didn't terrify me because it was a nightmare. It terrified me because it was a memory. It had to be.

Eventually, I was able to fall asleep with Newt's heartbeat acting as a lullaby.