|Greenie~16|

|•••|

|•••|

It had officially been a month since I had come up in the box. Today was the day of another Greenie. I was happy to no long be called Greenie, although I never was that often. I was often called Carina or the girl or, in Minho's case, Car. He knew I hated that nickname because it sounded awful, but that only made him use it more.

I had just ran out of the maze doors with Minho and started walking over to the map room. I wasn't very sweaty since Minho and I lightly jogged back to the Glade instead of our usual sprinted race, but even then it was just a quick sprint and wasn't long enough to tire me out. Newt saw I had returned and met Minho and I on our walk into the woods.

"Carry me, Newt," I whined to him as I held my arms out. He rolled his eyes with a laugh before turning his back to me, motion that I could hop on. I giggled and hopped onto his back, letting him carry me to the map room.

"I wish I had a camera to capture this," Minho smiled as he watched Newt carry me in his back into the map room.

Once we entered, Newt set me back down and I pulled out my notes of the day that I had taken on the run. I had thrown my notes into the chest and did the work I needed, finally hopping back onto Newt's back and letting him carry me out to Frypan's kitchen for food.

Everyone seemed to stare at Newt and I as we came into the kitchen area while I was riding his back. I had hopped off and gotten my food, sitting down at the usual bench we ate at.

"That was quite an entrance," Alby joked, shoving some mashed potatoes into his mouth.

"She was riding him on the way to the map room too," Minho told Alby as he sat down. I stared at Minho, with both of my eyebrows raised while Newt simply laughed. "I meant what I said," Minho smiled. I jabbed Newt in the ribs with my elbow, but he only laughed harder. I took a spoonful of potatoes and created a catapult, aiming it straight for Minho. I let the spoon go and the mash potatoes flew over the table, hitting Minho square in the face. Newt and I burst out laughing and even Alby had a few chuckles. I looked over to see Gally smirking as he looked at Minho. "Shuck!" Minho yelled. "Why is it that every time we sit at this table, you throw food at me?"

"Technically I didn't throw it," I smirked at him. He took his napkin and wiped the potatoes off of his face, grumbling to himself.

"Newt, control you're girlfriend, won't ya?" Minho seemingly joked, but he didn't say it in a joking attitude. Ever since he found Newt and I asleep on the same bed the second day I got here, he's been making remarks and jokes about Newt and I dating. Neither Newt or I opposed them or were very bothered by it, though.

"Sorry, Mate. I don't want potatoes on my face," Newt smirked at Minho.

"Alby?" Minho complained. Alby shook his head with the ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "Shuck," Minho mumbled.

"Haha," I mocked him, putting a spoonful of potatoes in my mouth. Not so inconspicuously, Minho loaded his spoon with potatoes, flicking them at me. His aim was horrible as the potatoes flew past my shoulder and hit the floor. Newt and I started laughing at him and I was about to make a snarky remark, when a loud alarm blared through the Glade. I jumped at the noise and watched at Newt instantly got closer to me, ready to shield me if the noise meant harm.

"Greenie alert," Alby told us. I let out a deep breath in relief before jumping up from the table and running over to the box with Newt following me.

•••

We spent the next hour waiting for the box to officially come up, which I spent by picking grass next to the box and messing around with Newt. Messing around with Newt always included sarcastic comments, the occasional jab in the ribs, the nudge with the shoulder, and most of all, the pushing of the face away. He didn't seem to mind as he also returned the favor to me. Neither of us complained, though, as our shoulders were pressed against each other's and Minho occasionally wiggles his eyebrows at us from across the box.

Finally, the doors to the box opened and Alby jumped down into the box, ready to greet the newbie. I stood up, trying to peer over the large figure of Alby.

"Who is it, Alby?" Minho called down. Alby stepped aside to reveal a young boy. The rope was thrown down and the boy stepped into it. It took three guys to hoist the boy onto the Glade's ground, since the boy was slightly more pudgy than most of the Gladers. Once the boy had gotten up, I stared at his terrified face. He had longer curly brown hair and brown eyes. His face was round and his cheeks were pink. He couldn't be any older than twelve or thirteen. I couldn't help but feel bad for the young boy. I stepped up to him, holding out my hand with a smile before speaking.

"Welcome to the Glade, Greenie. I'm Carina."