1 : angie

"MOM WHERE ARE MY CAR KEYS?!"
i pick up my bag and wait for my mom to reply.

"they're on the lounge table, REMEBER DRIVE ON THE RIGHT!! and have a good first day at school!"

i leave the house with my bag and take a deep breath.

it's only a first day? what's the worse that could happen. oh wait, i moved to england, i have to wear this stupid uniform and the principal said i'm gonna have a buddy for the first month of school. let's just hope they aren't some rainbows and lollipops bitch or i will cut a bitch.

i took my own turn on the school uniform, since you are allowed, since the school focussed on "kindness, uniqueness and health." bullshittttt

***

i arrive at the front desk for my timetable and locker code. oh god please don't let this be like america.

"angela? ah! our new student, let me take you to your buddy! she! i mean! HE is! right this way." a teacher placed their hand on my shoulder and i flinch and. imma just ignore the fact the messed up with the pronouns at first.

he leads me to a science class with a class full of people i'm not looking forward to being aquatinted with.
then there's.. him.

he's.. um. different. wavey ish black hair hanging over his forehead, i like his beanie...
and
the teacher says a name but, obviously "kai" isn't paying attention to science class.
"KAI!"
the boy looks up.
"huh, what?" he mutters, probably pissed that he's been pulled away from drawing his.. wow. art. damn. pretty uh? different. it's a boy and a girl... maybe he has a girlfriend?
"this is our new student. you're her buddy. now, angela, kai is my top student so he will be your tutor in science and maths too, kai, meet angela"

he looks up again, but at me. he seems so go gooey eyed.
"hey, uh.. i'm kai.. wait shit- fuck- you already know that" he face palms and grabs his skateboard and bag.
"i'm angela"
"i'm gonna call you angie"
"i thought you'd never ask" he giggles and we leave the classroom to.. i don't know
"i didnt" he smiles and winks. hm. charming. "so first, let's get to your locker, i think it's next to mine, can i see?"
i hand him the locker code and number
his voice hasn't dropped yet, but he's 17? or 16, but is that healthy? anyway.
"is it near yours?"
"yeah, sorry, it was my friends locker" i see him wipe his eyes as if he was crying
"kai, are you okay dude?"
"huh? yeah! i'm fine ang, im just your local emotional wreck!" he waves his hands in the air and makes me giggle and smile a little, he looks at me with wide eyes and a happy smile.
"i like your smile, it's beautiful... i mean- FUCK SHUT UP KAIRO"
"dork." i like this guy, he's funny, and a good first friend.
"hey! dumbass"
"you realise we have to be best friends right? like you're my first and probably only friend this year."
"oh how sad" he puts his hands on his chest and frowns like a clown "that's fine. i don't really have many friends anyway, just hayden, zoe, and jordon."
"you think they'll mind me jumping into the squad?" i ask innocently
"okay, never say 'squad' again, and no, they won't mind, as long as you support gay and trans shit." we stop at his locker and he puts in the code to open it
should i just tell him straight up i'm bisexual? well it's not like he can say 'EW THATS GROSS' because he just told me i have to support it, eh, here's my shot to be better in this school.
"well i'm bi myself, you?"
"the local trans fest, and poly, or pan, i don't really care"
"i knew there was something different about you, the teacher who brought me to you messed up your pronouns at first, i ignored it thinking it was just the lack of coffee"
"i came out last year in august, the schools trying their hardest to help but.. yeah anyway. here, put the stuff you don't want- you know what to do"
he walks away slowly to check his phone.
he starts to cry and i walk over to him carefully.
"kai, dude, talk to me"
"what? i'm fine! see!" he gives me a toothy smile and i giggle again.
i realise how he really doesn't want to accept that he's not okay, or he just doesn't want to scare me away, probably that.

***

he walks me around school, giving me tips on all my teachers, but reassured me he's in all of my classes but one, i give him my number just because, he's my first friend. ya know?