Chapter 8

~Brendon~

Rilynn scared me half to death. She was pale and terrified. She was crying. Every part of me was scared for her. I didn't want anything to happen to her.

After we had gotten on the second plane and flown the rest of the way to Magna, I carried Rilynn off the plane and we grabbed our bags from the baggage claim before taking a limo provided for us to our hotel. I took Rilynn upstairs to the room and let her sleep until dinner time. She needed the rest. I'd woken her up for dinner and we ate pizza with Dallon and Spencer in our hotel room.

The next morning we went out and ate breakfast. Afterwards, we went to sound check and Rilynn hung out on the side of the stage. She looked at her swinging feet. I was worried about her, but I didn't know what to do. She was always so quiet and reserved, even around Sarah and I. 

When we were putting our instruments and equipment up, I ran a hand through my hair and looked over at Rilynn. Dallon walked over to me.

"You're worried about her, aren't you?" he asked. I nodded. "She'll be okay. She just has to adjust. It's a lot to take in all at once. And she spent years in a foster home. Just give her time, Bren."

"I know," I sighed, running my hand through my hair again. "You're right. I just need to give her time to adjust. But it's hard to watch her like this and know there's nothing I can do to help her except for wait."

"I know, man," Dallon sighed. "It's hard for me to watch her, too. She always seems so sad. And she flinches when someone gets too close to her. I bet it has to do with her foster home, but I want to know what they possibly could have done to a little girl to make her like this. I just wish there were something we could do to help her."

"Maybe there is. . ." Spencer said, appearing next to us. 

After soundcheck, we went to where our dressing room was and put our instruments away. Rilynn sat on the sofa and I watched her sadly. She looked up at me and I turned my head away.

"I know you've all been watching me," she murmured. "I'm not stupid."

"We never said you were stupid," I said gently. "I'm just worried about you. You've been really quiet lately."

"I'm fine," she whispered. "Can I take a short walk?" I nodded.

"Just don't be too long, and take your cell phone with you," I said as she got up and left the room. When the door closed, I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "What am I going to do? She won't talk to me, she doesn't talk to Sarah. She doesn't talk to anyone and she's worrying me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with her." I sat down and put my face in my hands.

"Don't sweat the small stuff, Bren," Dallon said, setting a hand on my shoulder. "Soon you'll much rather have this Rilynn than teenage Rilynn. You'll be fine. And don't let her think you're always strong. Show weakness every so often, so that she sees its normal to be scared and worried. Trust me, you'll be perfectly fine. And if you ever need help, I'm here and Breezy can help. Of course, Amelie is three years younger than Rilynn, but that doesn't mean we can't help."

"Thanks, Dallon," I sighed. "I'm not sure what I'd do without you."

That night, after the concert, I wandered back to the dressing room and opened it to see that Rilynn wasn't there. I grabbed my phone and texted her, but I didn't receive an answer. I waited a little bit, hoping she just had her phone turned off and would be back. When she didn't, I went out to look for her.

~Rilynn~

I had no idea how I ended up there, at the after party, but I did. I tried to see if Brendon, Spencer, or Dallon were there, but people kept pushing me around and I couldn't tell who was who. Someone thrust a cup into my hand. I looked at it curiously and smelled it. It had a vile smell, but I couldn't find anywhere to put it, so I held on to it. I continued to shove through people in search of someone I recognized. I had lost track of the entrance, so I didn't know how to get out. I smelled the drink again. I was really thirsty, and I couldn't find any other drinks, so I tried to take a sip. It tasted awful, but I swallowed the mouthful.

I eventually heard Brendon's voice over the noise of the crowd and music. It was faint, but it was there. He was calling my name. I tried to push my way towards the voice, and soon found him. He saw me and pushed towards me.

"What's that?" He asked, pointing towards my hand where I held the cup.

I shrugged. "Someone handed it to me and I couldn't find anywhere to put it."

"Did you drink any of it?" He questioned.

"Just one little sip because I was thirsty, but it was awful," I replied. I felt a tinge of anger coming off of him. He shook his head and took the cup from my hand before taking my hand with his free one and helping me get through the crowd. We made it outside the door and he dropped the vile drink in the trash can.

"Don't drink anything someone gives you unless it comes in a closed can and it's something you recognize," he said, slightly angry. I nodded slowly. He gave off the same sense that my foster father gave off when I'd done something to upset him.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled shyly. "I didn't mean to."

He sighed. "It's okay, I'm not mad. Just don't do it again, okay? And how did you even get in there, anyways?"

"I don't know," I said. "I just remember trying to get back to the dressing room after going on a walk and I got swept into a crowd of people. Next thing I know I'm in the middle of a party surrounded by people I don't know with a drink in my hand I only recognized by the smell. My foster father's breath smelt like that sometimes when he dragged me from my bedroom and made up an excuse to hit me and throw me in the cellar." Brendon wrapped me in a hug. It felt oddly comforting.

"It's okay," he whispered. "You just worried me, is all. I didn't know where you were and you weren't answering your phone."

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear it go off because of the loud music and people shouting," I whispered nervously.

"Come on, let's go back to the dressing room and talk to Sarah," he said, standing up and holding out his hand. "She'll want to hear how your first concert went."

*I WENT TO A PANIC! CONCERT YESTERDAY!!! It was amazing :) and someone proposed during Death of a Bachelor :) Honestly, it was probably the best experience of my life! I had so much fun and Brendon was so amazing and entertaining. He definitely made me feel so much better about myself and my life with his amazing speech :) He said a little speech about how he was astonished that we were all born and we all ended up in that room on that day at that time. It was so sweet :) Anyways, you guys would probably rather have another chapter today instead of listening to me go on about the concert. I'll work on editing the next one for you :) I might get it out today, but it may be tomorrow. We'll see. I have a couple new projects I'm working on for y'all so I hope you'll get excited :) I'll keep y'all updated on the progress of my new projects if y'all want :) Can't wait to share my ideas with y'all :)

Much love,

A <3