Chapter 33 - Abandoned

Ian

ABBY avoided me for several days. She wasn't answering her door, wasn't working jobs. Or if she was, I didn't know which ones. What had I done wrong? I never imagined the thought of me kissing her would send her running.

No, that wasn't it. There was more to it, and I intended to figure it out.

Asa had been working with me on my powers this week, and we were about to meet in just a few minutes.

I walked into a massive room not far from Winter's Edge in the Old City just before Asa came in. Arriving early was a survival tactic. If I were late, she was sure to make me regret it.

We sat facing one another, eyes closed, legs folded, hands resting on our knees. As usual, she always started with meditation, teaching me something new about it each day. Today, a pen and notebook rested beside my right leg.

"We're training the mind to focus on one task or one object at a time so it doesn't stray." Asa took a deep breath. "Breathe deep and focus on the energy that explodes out of you when you're scared or angry."

I breathed deep and pictured the force as a bubble as I had before. Since we'd started, I'd finally become able to access the energy without having to sit for a little bit and think of a memory to evoke an emotion. She'd taught me to imprint the bubble with the memory and its emotions for instant access. I still hadn't learned to hold it, though. Asa had run from the room several times so far, but the problem with a bigger room was that it took longer to reach the doors and I needed to stay centered in it just to make sure the backlash of the force didn't throw me across the room.

At that moment, though, she wasn't asking me to access my power.

"Now," she said, "try to lift the image to the center of your forehead and hold it there as long as you can. If something comes to mind, write it in the notebook."

Almost immediately, a thought of Abby flashed through my mind. I wrote it down quickly, then continued with the meditation. It happened a few more times before Asa took notice.

"My goodness, child. What has you so off-kilter?" She glanced down at my pad as I wrote Abby's name again.

I tried to close it, but I was too slow.

"Abby?" She frowned.

My posture sank.

"She has been acting strange lately." Asa raised a questioning eyebrow. "Did you have something to do with that?"

I looked away.

Her voice intensified. "Are you infatuated with my daughter?"

"I—"

Asa cut me off with a glare, color rising in her face. "Think before you answer, boy. This is my daughter we are talking about."

I sighed. It wouldn't do any good to lie to her. She was smart and extremely perceptive. She already knew. "Yes."

Her eyes narrowed, slicing right through me. "Just what did you do to her?"

My eyes darted left. Then right. I cursed myself, silently. "I tried to kiss her."

Asa rolled her eyes and let out a breath. "Teenagers..." She shook her head. "I swear." Her look was insufferable. "Show me what you did."

I gave her an incredulous look. "What? No!"

"Oh, come now." Her tone was flat. "I've seen you in your knickers. I doubt this'll shock me much more than that."

Could she be any more embarrassing?