Author's Note 3: Ian & Abby

All of the characters in the book have a little bit of me in them...yes, even Rawlins and Agathe. What, you don't have a part of yourself that's a latent serial killer? Come on, live a little!

Alright, fine...just kidding.

Agathe's sense of pulling one over on other people and toying with them is something I can relate to. I'm not killing people when I do it, of course, but practical jokes can be fun sometimes. And being sneaky is a lot of fun, too. I liked a good prank growing up.

I really love Ian and Abby, probably because I relate to them the most. I'm more like Abby than Ian, actually. I don't carry the same beliefs as her, obviously, since I didn't grow up in an underground city made by giants before the flood...as far as you know, anyway. **raised eyebrow** But I think her views are interesting. Like her, I'm pretty objective and I understand that there's very little we can know for sure in this life. So to say I'm right about something is pretty much impossible for me and it's nearly impossible for Abby, too. She has a very objective, scientific mind which her mother conditioned her with. And yet, her mother defies that same objectivity by letting her repressed emotions taint the way she believes and how it affects her research. Maybe I'll delve more into that in the future.

Abby's my strong positive side that's a little insecure but doesn't show it. I'm a pretty authentic person, but I'm also very controlled when it comes to my insecurities. I was very lucky to find a method for overcoming any and all emotional issues a while back, and that changed everything. Running from our fears—also known as "stuffing" of "avoiding" them—never works. Not for long, anyway. Generally speaking, Abby does the same thing. She doesn't always see what she needs to confront, though, and I've been guilty of that at times, too. But that's the beauty of life—once we're prepared to deal with something, it'll present itself for us to take care of it, eventually.

As for Ian, he's similar. He's even more likely not to see what he needs to confront. And if someone's needs help, he goes head-on into danger to help them. I may be more like Abby than I am Ian, but I'm still a lot like Ian in many ways, too.

I haven't dealt with all of the issues Abby and Ian deal with in the book, but many of them I have. I obviously amplified their issues quite a bit, though. Sadly, many out there do have to struggle with these same situations, to a degree—minus the superpowers. Luckily, my parents were always very kind to me and never left me. Like any other parents, they're not perfect and they passed issues down to me I've had to deal with, but that's where we get the most value out of life.

Our struggles are how we learn, so I'm very thankful to my parents for what they passed on to me. Without our struggles, we'd stay immature and undeveloped. We'd likely never develop the level of courage that Ian and Abby display.

I think everyone's courageous at their core. Some just have issues muddying that courage, but it's still there.

For the final author's note, I'll discuss some other aspects of the book's setting and storyline.

***IF YOU ENJOYED THIS NOTE, VOTE FOR IT!***