Chapter 43 - Different

Abby

THAT night, we left for the safehouse in Denver with Robert's body in a makeshift coffin on the roof of the van. It was strange transporting a dead body, devoid of a life, of a spirit, of anything at all. Just cold and empty, like a small part of me felt.

The body stayed on the van throughout the night as we all slept in the safehouse. It stayed in the same spot the next morning as Joseph gave out our assignments. Even the assignments stayed the same. It was all the same, and yet nothing was the same.

Braden's murder hadn't affected me like this. Part of me assumed that it could've been a crime of passion, and we just hadn't known that someone was in love with him. It wasn't unheard of for someone with powers to snap without completely going mad.

Robert's murder was different though. It signaled something much more sinister—a real, tangible threat to my family, my friends, my way of life...even to me and Ian. This was the first time I'd ever considered that the Hunters could actually take down Winter's Edge.

Life wouldn't be simple again until this murderer was removed. Then again, had it ever really been simple, or had I always just been a naïve little girl accustomed to my normal way of life?

Ian and I ran errands and dropped gold at the refinery, but we didn't speak much.

He started to look a little worried. "Are you okay?" He put a hand on my leg as I drove the old Taurus.

It was warm, and his touch always gave me a little release from any stress that might have built up without me noticing.

"I just keep thinking about Robert. About our life in Winter's Edge." My eyes teared up. That wasn't like me. I always thought optimistically, but something about this weighed on me. "I just can't shake the sneaking suspicion that our life in Winter's Edge is over."

Ian grimaced, squeezing my leg. "Don't worry. We'll find whoever's doing this. You heard Joseph—they have fingerprints. They'll know who the murderer is tomorrow."

"We hope," I said.

"Yeah. We hope."

***Please vote for this chapter if you liked it!***