Chapter 91 - Finality

Ian

ASA ran up to Abby and wrapped her in her arms. "Don't ever do that to me again."

Abby shot her a crooked grin. "I didn't exactly plan to get caught."

They both paused for a quick moment then burst out in laughter and hugged again.

Agathe lay on the stone floor, Kat brooding over her. Kat's evil-eye stare said I dare you to move.

Even though I felt fine, I feigned anger, plodding toward Agathe. Citizens around me stumbled, the invisible force flowing from me, parting the way, pushing them to the side. The bodies of unconscious Hunters slid away from me as I approached, making a path to the one who'd killed Braden and Robert.

Agathe rose to her feet slowly, eyes darting to all of the faces looking her way. She gritted her teeth and screamed, putting all of her weight behind a hard punch. Just before her hand connected with my face, it slammed against a telekinetic barrier in front of me. Agathe cried out, holding her hand against her chest.

Kat snorted. "Nice one, Einstein."

Agathe pulled back, shaking. I grabbed her arm, turning her around, and nodded to Joseph as I pushed her toward him.

Asa lifted her hand to coax a gun strap with metal rings at its ends to wrap tight around Agathe's wrists. She scowled at Asa, wild rage in her eyes.

Joseph handed her to Reilly and Jesse who hauled her off to the Old City. He'd have to decide whether to dump her outside Denver with the other captured Hunters or keep her in Winter's Edge so she couldn't cause any more damage. It wouldn't be fair to imprison or kill the Hunters since they were just protecting the public, which was a noble job...even if it was a little misguided. But Agathe was a serial killer. She needed to be contained. If we were lucky, the mercy we would show the Hunters would convince them we're no threat and they'd end their service to the organization. That was unlikely, though.

I watched Agathe disappear into the South Passage wondering what would become of her.

Brother Lawrence came along side me. "If you went through what she went through as a child, you'd understand why she did what she did."

He was right. My father had done so many things to me in love that I misinterpreted as hate. That misunderstanding had shaped the way I'd grown up, the way I'd done things, and the way I'd believed. There was no telling what Agathe had been through to shape her, but one thing was now clear—it wasn't her fault. It wasn't anyone's fault. Her parents had probably been just as lost as her when they'd shaped her. And like my father and even me, they probably just didn't have a way out of their mess. That was probably the problem of nearly everyone on the planet.

I nodded at the monk's statement. "But she still has to pay for what she's done."

"Oh, of course. People believe forgiveness means there are no consequences, but even when we die and face the Light, we face the consequences of our actions. Not for punishment, but because it matures us. All of us will be salted with fire."

I grimaced. "You mean hell?"

He burst out laughing. "No, no, nothing like that, brother." He paused a long moment, looking up thoughtfully. "The Light says my usefulness here has come to an end...for now."

"You're leaving?"

"Soon, yes." He gave a nod of respect. "It's been a delightful time. We'll do it again soon."

It was statements like that one that kept me questioning the man's sanity. Well, that and his general demeanor and his love affair with pain and...