Chapter 50 - Disconnect

Abby

THE black SUVs would be on top of us soon. There wasn't much time to escape. And with the energy Ian just spent saving us, he'd be left without powers for a few minutes until the pills neutralized the tranquilizer in his veins.

"Can you run?" I said.

"Don't worry about me." Ian waved a hand gesturing for us to go. "Just run. I'll find you."

"No." Joseph scowled. "You won't."

"Just remember, I saved your life," Ian said. "Get her out of here."

Before I had a chance to think, Joseph threw me over his shoulder and took off as fast as he could.

"Put me down!" I yelled.

He kept running.

"Let go of me!" I wrestled against Joseph, but he had a death grip on me. Could I get away from him without revealing my powers? Did it even matter at this point?

Screw it.

I channeled my anger, triggering the dark sensation within. Strength flooded my muscles.

I punched Joseph's side. He slowed for a second, letting out a growl of frustration. Joseph didn't like secrets being kept from him.

He picked up speed again. I squirmed, trying to slow him down and break loose. He was too strong for me.

Behind us, Ian grew smaller and eventually vanished.

There was one hit that was sure to take Joseph down.

I braced myself. This was going to hurt.

I twisted around and hit him at the base of the skull. His body went limp.

We plummeted to the ground and hit hard. Probably 60 mph. Grass and dirt flew up around me as I rolled across the field. I threw my arms out to stop the roll, then grabbed at the ground, sinking my fingers in. As soon I stopped, I huffed, shook my head, then got to my feet and set out at a dead run.

As I headed toward Ian, I expected to run into Hunters chasing me and Joseph. Surprisingly, there were none. Had Joseph contacted them beforehand to come get Ian but leave us alone? Was Joseph the killer we'd been looking for all this time? I couldn't imagine Joseph had been bought out by the Hunters, and I hardly had proof. There was nothing I could do about it at the moment, though. All I could do now is get back to Ian.

I spotted him in the distance, Hunters moving his direction, rifles trained on him. They yelled at him to get on his knees. Ian stood his ground, ready for the attack. The Hunters stopped a little ways from Ian as a man in a suit stepped forward, an Asian man at his side.

I slowed before I came to a stop beside Ian.

"Get out of here, Abby," he said under his breath.

"I'm not leaving you," I whispered.

The Hunter in the suit had a strong build, jet-black hair, and a knowing look in his dark brown eyes. We'd had run-ins with him before. He was a high-level operative in Denver. A director of sorts. His name was Rawlins.

The short-haired Asian with him didn't wear sunglasses. He was probably in his forties, though it was hard to discern. He wore a traditional black kung fu jacket and pants right out of a Bruce Lee movie. He was shorter than Ian but broad shouldered. His steel expression said he wasn't afraid to die.

Rawlins removed his sunglasses. "o, Ian. It's nice to finally meet you."

"Wish I could say the same." Ian smirked.