Chapter 18 - Unspoken

Ian

AFTER giving myself a few hours to heal, I looked at my injuries in the mirror.

A knock came at the door. If I answered it, they'd know I'd just been in a fight. If I could hide out in my room until the supply run later that evening, my face would probably look normal again.

"Ian?" Abby said through the door.

Crap. We were supposed to be working the gardens.

"Just a second." My face actually didn't look too bad, all things considered. It was unusually red in some spots, but there was no visible blood. Maybe Abby wouldn't notice.

I headed to the door and opened it. "Sorry—"

"What happened to you?" She grimaced, cocking her head, then came close and put a hand to my cheek. Maybe I needed to get beat up more often.

"Nothing." I looked away.

Her head tilted the other direction. "Jesse and Braden." She gritted her teeth as her free hand balled into a fist.

"It's okay." I waved her off dismissively. "They got even. It's done."

"I can't believe they blame you for what happened. They volunteered for the test." She shook her head. "Why'd you let them do this to you? You could've used your powers. A Watcher would've been there in no time."

I shrugged. "They were the only Watchers around, and they tranqed my powers."

Her shoulder sank. "I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that."

"Really, it's okay. I'm fine."

"I'll make an excuse for you so you can skip work today. Hopefully, it won't be noticeable tonight."

"Thanks." The edge of my lip formed a line. I knew she was about to leave, but I was worried about her. "Hey," I said, meeting her gaze. "So, what happened last night when you...separated?"

Abby's eyes seemed to wilt as her gaze fell to the ground. "I don't wanna talk about it." She turned and left without another word.

I didn't know a whole lot about girls, but I knew enough not to push it with something like that. It could wait. But hopefully not for long.

The next time she separated could be the last time I see her alive.

***Please vote for this chapter if you liked it!***

QUESTION: Should Ian have hid his injuries or not?

Should Ian have pushed Abby for answers or given her space?