Chapter 59 - Twist of Fate

Ian

SAM had a look of shock for a split second.

"Run, Sam!" I yelled.

He looked around for cover. Trees and grass whipped against the violent onslaught of wind battering them. Then something barreled through the sky in Sam's direction.

With as much traction as I could muster, I dug the soles of my shoes into the dirt and shot forward. I hooked Sam with my arm, impacting him hard, taking him right off his feet. Just before we hit the pavement, I pushed energy out from my body toward the road to act as a sled. We slid to a stop, and I pulled the protective barrier back inside. We dropped a few inches to the pavement with a muffled thud.

Sam scrambled to his feet, looking back in disbelief. An old white Corvette lay in a crumpled heap where he'd been standing. His dark shirt and black hair thrashed vigorously against the currents of air. He frowned at me.

Great. If Sam wasn't in danger of the Hunters coming for him before, he would be now.

"Where's the nearest basement?" I said.

"The cafe." He headed that direction, around the mangled vehicle.

I glanced at the cafe, then down the street toward the mass of turbulent clouds devouring everything in its path. It was horribly mesmerizing.

Another vehicle crashed down next to us, snapping me out of my trance.

Sam ran for the diner as trees and parts of houses slammed down around us.

I threw up a telekinetic shield and followed Sam back to the cafe.

As soon as I'd slipped in the door, Sam called out, "Mom, get to the basement."

Margie stood near the short order window with wide eyes and held breath. She nodded and disappeared through the kitchen door.

Sam turned to me with a look of astonishment. "How did you get to me so quickly? How did you—"

With a worried look, I shook my head slowly, warning him not to ask that question.

He hesitated, then nodded, an understanding in his eyes. He wouldn't tell anyone about this. "We need to get to the basement."

"I can't," I said. "I have to find my mom."

The roar of the twister blanketed the building.

"You won't make it through the storm."

I turned to the door. "I'll take my chances."

"Damn, I never pegged you for being crazier than me." Sam shook his head. "Be careful."

I nodded, then pushed my body weight against the door, the oppressive winds making it hard to move.

Outside, a gust of air nearly knocked me over, but I managed to get my footing. Mom wouldn't be far away. The beauty shop was up on Colfax, just across the tracks.

"Ow!" A piece of hail shattered against my head. Not tiny, pea-sized hail. Softball-sized hail.

I gritted my teeth and ran.

Balls of ice bounced off or exploded as they slammed into me. It was like playing extreme dodgeball with giant ice balls. Luckily, my powers dampened the pain, but it still hurt like hell.

I crossed the tracks and turned down Colfax Avenue, directly into the tornado's path. The seemingly endless wall of death rushed toward me, ripping the town apart.