Chapter 58 - Homecoming

Ian

I pulled into the Country Rose Café in Bennett about 5 p.m. Inside, I looked for my mother. If she were still alive and able to walk, she'd be working.

She was nowhere in sight, but I tried not to worry. She could be in the back.

Sam's mother, Margie, who owned the diner, came from the kitchen. "Ian, where have you been?"

"Hey, Margie." I hugged the petite woman. "I've, uh-" I hadn't yet prepared an answer for that particular question. "I've been in Denver, working."

"Denver?" She frowned. "Well, your mother'll be happy you're okay."

A wave of relief washed over me. "She's okay?"

"Well, of course."

"But she was in an accident."

"Oh, she was only in the hospital for a few days, Hun." Margie patted me on the shoulder. "She gave us all a bit of a scare, but it was all for nothin'. She just had a little concussion. She's doing fine."

"Is she here?"

The kitchen door swung open and Mom came through with a couple of plates in her hands. She gasped and dropped them, then ran over and embraced me, leaving the shattered mess on the ground.

"You're okay." Mom sighed with relief. "I was so worried about you."

"I'm just glad your okay." I hugged her tight. "I was afraid you were dead."

She pulled back and smiled at me, tears welling up in her eyes. She held my arms, staring at me. "Takes more than a car wreck to coax me out of this world." She looked back at the mess she'd left in the floor and started to head that direction.

Margie cut her off. "I'll take care of that for ya, sweetie."

"Oh, you don't have to do that," Mom said.

"It's no problem, really. Your shift's over anyway."

Mom smiled, her eyes creasing at the edges.

Margie gave Mom's arm a squeeze, then walked over to a table, apologizing to the customers for the delay of their meal.

Mom and I sat in the nearest booth.

"Where have you been?" she said.

"Denver." It wasn't the whole truth, but it'd have to do.

She frowned. "Why on earth were you in Denver?"

"After Dad kicked me out, I couldn't very well stay around here."

Her lips pressed into a line. "I had nothing to do with that."

"I know. It's okay."

The frustration vanished, leaving behind concern. "So, where were you?"

"I left town and managed to..." I hesitated, not wanting to lie to her. "Let's just say I found a job in Denver and a girlfriend."

Mom's eyebrows rose. "What's her name?"

"Abby."

"That's a pretty name." Mom's lips tilted up at the corner, an eyebrow raised. "Do you love her?"

Mom always insisted that if I didn't love someone not to waste my time with them.

"I think so." I couldn't admit the more likely truth that the answer was yes because it hurt too much to think that I might never see her again.