Chapter 40 - Wager

Abby

I dove under a kick aimed at my face and rolled out of the way. Back on my feet, I launched a kick at Ian's torso. Another laundry wager had come and gone, and fighting Ian was becoming more difficult, but I wasn't about to let that show.

"Looks like you'll be doing my laundry again." My breaths were labored.

A few laughs and "Ooooohs" came from the crowd around the room.

Ian responded with nothing more than a smile that said he knew something I didn't. Was he toying with me? I'd been fighting with all I had. It wasn't enough. He was controlling the match.

As I worked harder, he seemed to relax into the dance, working less, as if it were second nature to him. Normally, I flowed with the dance, taking the lead, controlling the fight.

Not anymore.

I hadn't even noticed when he'd stolen it from me. He was leading now and I was at his mercy. I needed to change my fighting style to throw him off if I were going to regain control. All he needed was one hit on me to win, and he could've gotten that already, but he hadn't. He really was toying with me.

His fist came at my face, but instead of pulling off of it and attempting a throw, I spun around out of its path and went on the offensive with a hook kick, trying to catch him off guard from behind.

Bad move. He was ready for it, almost as if he'd been waiting for it. Did he know me that well now?

He ducked right into a sweep and took my other leg out from under me.

I dropped onto the mat. Ian was on top of me before I could really process what he'd done. His hands pinned me down, legs straddling my waist. His warm breaths caressed my skin. I was speechless for a moment, my senses shaken.

"You didn't hit me." It was the only thing I could think to say.

Releasing my left hand, he slowly brought a finger to my forehead. "Does this count?" He tapped my forehead once with his index finger.

"Yeah," I said, breathlessly.

Ian was on top of me again just like in my quarters, sparking the same vulnerability as before, but something made it even more intense now.

I gazed up into his hazel eyes senselessly. My heart pounded so hard I could hear it in my head. I couldn't look away from him. Having him take me down was exhilarating. My entire body tingled with anticipation, like electricity.

"Looks like you're finally ready for another supply run." Really? That was the best thing I could come up with?

"I believe you're right," Joseph said, beaming with pride, half snapping me out of my daze.

I'd forgotten there were others in the room. Their cheers and applause faded into my consciousness. If no one else were here with us, I'd make little effort to control myself. I'm not sure why, but I wanted Ian more than ever.

***Please vote for this chapter if you liked it!***