6

Arthit stood at the bus stop waiting to go home. He had headphones plugged in and was tapping his feet along the music. He doesn't know why, but he was anticipating something. Not the arrival of bus, but he had this intuition that something big and memorable is gonna happen tonight.

That's why, even when his bus came, he didn't get in, but stood where he was. As the bus started moving, he contemplated whether he should run for it or not. Just then, someone tapped his shoulder. He turned to see the person but a finger poked his cheek.

"Oon"

"P'Nam!!"

"Are you in a hurry?"

" Not at all"

" Then, accompany me", Namtarn said and grabbed his hand, then pulled him along.

"Where?"

" I am craving some ice cream. Let's go to that corner one"

" Ok", Arthit smiled.

He was doing a happy dance inside. P'Nam had invited him to go somewhere with her. He looked at his hand where Namtarn was holding it and blushed. This feels nice. Was this the thing he was anticipating? All the way to the shop, Arthit didn't register a thing. The traffic, the road, the noise, just the touch of Namtarn.

And just too soon for Arthit's liking, they reached the ice cream parlor.

" Oon, order whatever you want, my treat"

" But P"

" Please Oon, I insist"

"Ok......then i'll have strawberry"

Namtarn smiled at that.

"What? Why are you smiling?"

" Nothing. Just thought it suits you. cute and bubbly and fragrant"

Arthit reddened at that, not knowing what to say.

They took a seat after getting their orders. Now sitting in front of Namtarn, Arthit noticed that she was looking sad yet again. 

"You know P'Nam"

"hmm?"

" You are like tutty fruity itself"

" Huh?"

" Bright, colorful and uplifting"

" Really?"

" Yes"

" That's why, this dull look doesn't suit you. So cheer up."

 Namtarn smiled at that, " Oon...aren't you sweet"

Not more that you, Arthit muttered under his breath.

" Hmm?"

" Nothing"

They came out of the shop after they were done.

" Let's go to the nearby park", said Namtarn.

Together they walked silently, side by side. For some reason, Arthit felt that he should remain silent. He glanced at Namtarn, she looked deep in thought.

And Arthit wondered, what could be bothering her. Their hands were swaying and would touch occasionally. Namtarn looked unaffected by it but Arthit became hyper aware of it. So not to come out as a pervert, he maintained a distance. But even from this distance, he could notice her perfume- soft and flowery. It had a dreamy essence to it.

A soft wind came, and her hair blew on his face. And Arthit noticed, it was soft and fragrant too. She's just like a princess, everything about her is so exquisite, he thought.

"Arthit"

"Yes princess"

Namtarn looked at him as if he was crazy, " We have reached"

"Oh!!"

Arthit looked around the park and noticed swings.

"P'Nam, let's go to the swings"

"ok"

Arthit made her sit on the swing and began pushing.

" This feels nice", smiled Namtarn.

This feels like a dream, thought Arthit. Him and her together, without any boundaries, without any disturbance, cutoff from the world, in their own bubble, with Namtarn smiling and them having a good time. But he doesn't know how long will it last.

Then Arthit pushed the swing harder, it went higher and Namtarn screamed.

"nooooooooooo......."

But it made him push more hard and he started laughing. Soon, he was joined by Namtarn and the atmosphere was filled with their laughter.

Later, when they were sitting in one of the benches when Namtarn said,

" Thank you, it was the most fun I had in a long time. and I don't even remember when i laughed so hard."

Arthit smiled," No problem, anytime."

At that Namtarn's smile dropped and she became serious.

" Oon......Arthit"

Arthit frowned at the sudden change of mood.

"This has to stop", she continued.

"What has to stop?"

" This, whatever that is between us. It's more than friendship. I feel it and i know you feel it too"

" But....but why? surely we can always be friends? right?

" Am getting engaged. I cannot continue to be friends with you. I just want to close this chapter and start a new chapter"

Arthit was flabbergasted, " Then what about today?"

" It was just a goodbye",with that, Namtarn got up and left, leaving a heartbroken Arthit behind.

So, it was a dream afterall, thought Arthit bitterly.

-------------------------------------------------------tbc---------------------------------------------------------------------